Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end !!!
I have propped branches up with sticks, pulled branches up with string, taken low fruit off the tree and she is still managing to steal apples, pears and victoria plums off the b***** trees!!!

Can anyone tell me how I can stop her, apart from following her out into the garden everyday for the next month !!

She stole 2 apples whilst we were in the garden today. Eventually I managed to make her drop them but then I faced a dilemma. How do I respond to the fact that she has stolen but also given them to me. If I say tell her off will she be confused as to why she is told NO when she dropped the apple but if I tell her good girl for dropping the apple will she think that she can go and get me more!! (I hope this isn't too confusing for you!!)

She has plenty of toys in the garden, playtime and walks. I believe she needs to learn what she can and can't do but I just don't know how to stop her because at the moment she thinks it is a great game!!

Also I am concerned that she will end up getting a poorly tum if eats too many!!

Does anyone else have same problem and if so how did you cure it.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Many thanks

Chloe

G

·
I really don't know what to suggest although I know exactly what a pain in the bum it is!! Rueben is certainly getting his five a day!!

Rueben steals plums, apples (cooking and eating), peaches and pears from the fruit trees in our garden. :roll: In fact we ended up at the vets a couple of weeks ago because he'd eaten so many plums they'd upset his tummy and he couldn't stop being sick!!

The only thing we've done is go out into the garden and pick up anything that's fallen but this is done almost every hour :roll: during the day and always first thing in the morning before he's allowed out in the garden!! It's time consuming but other than cutting down the trees I don't know what else to do!!

I'd love to know what suggestions everyone has though for your other point as I don't know what to do when he drops whatever treasure he's found! Like you I've discovered if I make a fuss of him for dropping it he just goes and gets more!!

Anyway, that wasn't much help was it?? :roll: :lol: At least you know you're not alone with a fruit thieving dog!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
All I can suggest is fencing the trees off, you can make a circular one for each tree and try to place them at branch ends where the windfalls are likely to be.

As for the stealing, when you say drop and they do, don`t make a big fuss of them, just pick the fuit up say thank you in a matter of fact way and dispose of it.

The only other thing you can do is keep a close eye on them when they are in the garden, as soon as they start going anywhere near the tree say no, shout it if you have to, just get their attention away from the tree, enough yells should get through to them in the end that trees are to be left alone.

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
I'm thinking of some form of net hanging beneath each tree to catch falling fruit???

(I was actually thinking fence area off but someone beat me to that idea! :wink: )

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
No advice either.....I'm hating my wrtched plum tree right now.

First we had them eating them all off the floor, so i picked all I could reach. Then the ones that fell the wrong side of the fence were driving them potty.
Then Basil worked out if he sat under it for long enough one usually falls.

Now our whole tree is riddled with wasps and any that fall get gorged with 2 or 3 of the nasties hiding inside. I'm having to go out before the dogs go out as I'm so worried they'll eat them wasps and all.

I have currently put the puppy play pen under the tree to try to cordon it off a bit :evil:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I had the same problem with Bess. In the end I took all the low hanging fruit off leaving the top of the tree.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Amber and Echo take the fruit off our young apple trees. Last year we only had 4 apples and the dogs got them before us :evil:

They also pull up and eat the cauliflower, cabbages and garlic. We have tried fencing but they get underneath.

I just live in the hope that one day we will have enough fruit and veg for the whole family including the dogs :D

I've noticed wasps getting into the apples so maybe the dogs are not the only apple robbers :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts