Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for reading.

I am from India have a Labrador puppy 3.5 months old. How do I know if he can exhibited him in the Shows?

I haven't registered him, I am aware I have to and I will. I got him from a breeder and I knew him very well. He said my dog's parents are champions. How do I believe him? Will their certifications show that? Can I know by looking at my dog.

My vet said he is healthy. Many said that his head and body structure is very good.

I was just dropping him at a Kennel and the lady who was taking care of the pups said my lab cannot be exhibited in shows because of his color. He is 80% yellow and 20% light brown on top.

Attached a part of his photo.

Please help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums.

I would imagine India has a kennel club the same as other countries, and you should have got his pedigree paperwork when you brought him home. This will have his registered pedigree name and number on it, and details of his parents, as well as (possibly) details of some health testing on the parents. It is the breeder who registers pups, you can transfer them into your name, but as far as I know, if it's the same as other countries, you cannot register him yourself.

His coat colour is not unusual at all, although the breed standard here calls for the coat to be a solid colour, it's not unusual with yellows to have areas of darker reddish/brown along their back, ears and neck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, for clarifying, Tarimoor.

Yes, we have Kennel Club of India(KCI).

I missed to get it registered due to lack of knowledge. Even the breeder did not provide any information on it. I am pretty sure that he did not register him. He might be looking for some more money when I get back to him for the registration. I do not know the parents' owners as well. My bad.

Let me check with the breeder again.

Another question. I heard we can register the puppy with 'unknown-parents' category.

Will there be any problem meeting the eligibility criteria of a Show?
Is breed-line certificate mandatory to participate in a Show?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,862 Posts
I suspect you need to find out from someone more familiar with showing in India. As this is predominantly a uk forum I doubt there is anyone with specific enough knowledge.

If you were in the uk/Europe we'd tell you to never buy without checking and seeing the parents health checks. You'd nearly always leave the breeder with pup and paperwork such as registration documents. We'd say go back to your breeder to see what they think about potential after all you're representing their breeding not only your dog.

If you were in France where I am, without registration papers you would not be permitted to show.

If the breed register is still open (i.e. Allowing unregistered dogs to be registered who meet the breed standard and show the natural aptitude of the breed having been judged by experts) then you might have the opportunity to register your pup yourself but I'd hazard to guess it'd be a complicated process and very very few kennel clubs allow this option.

Again you'd really need to speak to someone with knowledge of Indian procedures. My initial gut reaction is to say you won't be able to show your dog without the necessary paperwork/registration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts