Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I would love to start showing and I was wondering if any of you old pro's out there could give some information and advice to a complete novice. Before collecting our dog Lucca, we visited a couple of local breed shows really just to find out a little more about the breed and I loved what I saw! Lucca is now 8 weeks old and although I appreciate that he is far to young to start showing at the moment, want to find out as much information as I can so that if we (lucca obviously has to enjoy it too!!) decide to get involved that we can be as prepared as possible. He is booked into puppy classes which start on 6th July (2 weeks after his final innoculations) when should he start ringcraft classes and does anyone know of any good ones in the Cambridge area? Are there any good books on showing that I can read? At what age do they usually start and how do I find out about forthcoming shows? He is from show lines on both sire and dam sides although I believe his mother has never been shown his father is. The breeder is not local to me.

Sarah

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi Sarah
First of all your puppy must be registered with the KC. Ask your newsagent to order you a copy of either 'Our Dogs' or 'Dog World', these two publications are weekly and are a must for show goers, and contain a weekly list of forthcoming Champ, Open, Limit and companion shows, and give details on how to obtain schedules to enter them

Your puppy cannot be shown until he's six calendar months old, so you'll have loads of time to do some ring training. You could also try one or two companions shows as well as ringcraft to get him used to things, Although breed classes are still limited to 6months old and upwards, you can enter the novelty classes.

As you are an absolute beginner, then I would advise you to go to some shows that have Labrador classes, and watch very carefully how the breed is handled, what kind of lead is used for them and get chatting to the owners (after they have been in the ring, not just as they are about to go in).

Before you take your puppy to rincraft, go to some different ringcraft classes and see which one you like. Talk to the trainers and see what their methods are. Explain that you are a complete novice and ask as many questions as you can.

The KC have a list of registered ringcraft classes, just give them a ring

Whatever else happens go and have fun, win or lose you will always take the best dog home. :D ;)

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
kayc said:
Whatever else happens go and have fun, win or lose you will always take the best dog home. :D ;)
A very good thing to remember and one I always remind myself of when Coco has been a naughty minx in the ring (agility)!!! :lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips Kay, I will subscribe to one of the magazines and perhaps visit a few of the forthcoming shows just to have a look :D How long have you been showing - Ive noticed a couple of your posts - congratulations on your success - you must be very proud (and quite rightly!) :D

Sarah
X

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A great thing to remember Maddie - although I am sure we are all biased when it comes to our wonderful dogs I know that I think mine is the best lab in the world even when he is a little tinker :roll:

Sarah
x

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Hi Sarah,

How is your training going?

When will your little tinker be out at shows(when is he 6 months old)?

Showing is a learning curve lol lol mostly it curves down the way........

Just go out there and have fun, dont look to be placed just look to enjoy your self

mhairi x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts