Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Look between their legs, you will see little moving black specks!

YOU will get flea bites on your calves too, and on your body if the dog is allowed on your furniture - dog fleas are not fussy!

The dog will often scratch a lot too, but other things can cause scratching.

(I never wait until then, I treat them for fleas using a tablet every three months. Bravecto and Nexgard are both excellent. By the time you see the fleas on the dog they are in your furnishings and everywhere the dogs goes - so you need to treat the house too)

·
Registered
349 Posts
My vet's trick is to dampen an A4 sheet of paper. rub up the hair the opposite way on the dog, with the paper to catch anything coming from the coat. If the paper ends up with pink/red spots, it is supposed to be flea poo, which is almost always blood. Hope this helps

·
Administrator
21,783 Posts
The easiest way is to put some clean damp white paper (kitchen roll) under them then comb the coat so any flea dirt, if present drops onto the damp paper. Because fleas live on blood their dirt is largely dried blood which then dissolves on the damp paper leaving a small reddy brown stain.

I never treat my dogs unless I have reason to believe they have fleas. But with yellow dogs like mine they are so much easier to see.

Regards, John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys thank you so much, will check out with the wonderful solutions as mentioned by you all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello
There are some of the signs or symptoms which shows that the dog has fleas.

Do a thorough inspection of your pet’s fur. When you divide the fur, fleas will run in the opposite direction and hide. You can identify them by their dark brown color.
Give your dog a thorough bath. Keep the drain clogged after and inspect the water closely. If there are little black spots in the water, it is likely that your dog has fleas.
Use a flea comb to carefully go through your dogs coat. If you come across small critters that look brown, flat, and oval that move very quickly, your dog probably has fleas. A flea’s favorite spots are on the base of the ears and near the rump. Also, you can take more help from http://britishgrit.com/.
Fleas leave behind “flea feces” or “flea dirt,” which look like flecks of black pepper or dirt. Put some on a white facial tissue and wait—if it is indeed flea feces, a small red dot or a “halo” will appear.
If you find a small bug, try and squish it between your fingertips. Fleas do not squish easily. If the bug squishes easily, it’s likely not a flea.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

There are some of the signs or symptoms which you need to look for.

Do a thorough inspection of your pet’s fur. When you divide the fur, fleas will run in the opposite direction and hide. You can identify them by their dark brown color.

Give your dog a thorough bath. Keep the drain clogged after and inspect the water closely. If there are little black spots in the water, it is likely that your dog has fleas. Also, on urgent basis you can contact http://britishgrit.com/.

Use a flea comb to carefully go through your dogs coat. If you come across small critters that look brown, flat, and oval that move very quickly, your dog probably has fleas. A flea’s favorite spots are on the base of the ears and near the rump.

Fleas leave behind “flea feces” or “flea dirt,” which look like flecks of black pepper or dirt. Put some on a white facial tissue and wait—if it is indeed flea feces, a small red dot or a “halo” will appear.

If you find a small bug, try and squish it between your fingertips. Fleas do not squish easily. If the bug squishes easily, it’s likely not a flea.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,783 Posts
YOU will get flea bites on your calves too, and on your body if the dog is allowed on your furniture - dog fleas are not fussy!
If you've got to the stage where you yourself are getting bitten then the chances are they have got into your carpets and furniture. Johnsons 4Fleas aerosol is good for that. 0ne can will do the whole house.

I've had a flea problem for years, but then a few weeks ago it suddenly burst on the scene. Normally with my yellows a flea sticks out like a sore thumb but this time I was caught unawares.

Regards, John

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
If you've got to the stage where you yourself are getting bitten then the chances are they have got into your carpets and furniture. Johnsons 4Fleas aerosol is good for that. 0ne can will do the whole house.

I've had a flea problem for years, but then a few weeks ago it suddenly burst on the scene. Normally with my yellows a flea sticks out like a sore thumb but this time I was caught unawares.

Regards, John
John did you mean to say you have had a flea problem for years;)!!!!!!

I hope you managed to sort it:cheesygrin:, thanks for the Johnsons 4Fleas tip, I will pass that onto my daughter she had a breakout recently and was pulling her hair out trying to get rid, [woops not her hair, the dogs].

June

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Quote Fiz:- my daughter had a break out and was pulling her hair out!!!!

PMSL June!!!! Do humans still get "nits"???? Like when I was 'icle' in the 50's!!!! (I never did 😂)

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

·
Administrator
21,783 Posts
John did you mean to say you have had a flea problem for years;)!!!!!!
Oops, should have read, "First time I've had a flea problem for years, but then a few weeks ago it suddenly burst on the scene." but the First time" disappeared off the face of the earth! I blame the Martians!

John ;)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Quote Fiz:- my daughter had a break out and was pulling her hair out!!!!

PMSL June!!!! Do humans still get "nits"???? Like when I was 'icle' in the 50's!!!! (I never did 😂)

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾
I never got nits when I was icle in the **'s either :D, nor did my kids in the **'s, but my youngest grankids did in the infants bless em:(, I think the whole school had an outbreak:eek:, they are all grown up now, I'm dead if they read this!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts