Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before Christmas I got two new gerbils, Bob and Spud. They have a shiny new cage and lots of new straw and food. I went away for a few days from the 26th until the 28th. Came in with the dogs and went into the kitchen to find part of the cage open and only one gerbil there. I must have forgot to close the ball over properly and he had got out. Left some food down but to no avail.
Resigned myself to the fact that he was gone for good. But today I heard some strange noises coming from the kitchen. Thought it might be the gerbil in the cage but the noise was coming from the cooker. Opened the door to find missing gerbil staring up at me! Got the shock of my life and closed the door over. Put some food down and a box in case he came out. Waited and waited. He has come out a few times and ate some food but have not been able to catch him yet. Have closed over the kitchen door and come out for a bit of a breather.
Anyone got any advise as to how to catch the blighter? Any tips would be very much appreciated. I'm suppost to be at the hospital visiting my Dad!!!

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Not sure if anywhere would be open to sell one today but what about buying one of the humane traps that people use to capture mice so they can set them free? I think you can get ones that would be plenty big enough for a gerbil.

Hope you can find him soon.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
A humane mouse trap (like a little cage for him to walk in) with peanut butter in. Mice cannot resist peanut butter so I guess maybe a gerbil would be the same or maybe you could just entice him out with the peanut butter :D .

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
If you make a set of 'stairs' with books, then tilt a tallish plastic or glass container against the 'stairs' (vase, jug etc) with something yummy at the bottom, the gerbil should take the 'stairs', clamber down into the tall receptacle which will then drop onto its base with the weight and gerbil will be trapped.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
When my hamster went missing (12 days) we finally caught him by putting an empty box over the top of him,(once we'd found him) and then cardboard under and transferred him to his cage that way.

Obviously only works if he comes out and you can see him.

We tried the humane mouse trap but they are quite small and he could get the food out and not get caught, not sure how big your gerbils are but mine are huge and again would be too big for the mouse trap.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Lie a wellie boot on its side with a bit of peanut butter stuffed into the toe of it. When you open the door, squeezed the top of the wellie together because with any luck he'll be in the boot. (Have used this for catching mice indoors before, very successfully!)

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
874 Posts
We've previously had success with chucking a tea-towel over an immigrant rodent - our cats have always been very good at catching them and bringing them in to show us, then letting them go. You have to be quick and careful and you might get bitten, but the change from daylight seems to surprise them into staying still.

Otherwise humane mouse trap sounds like a good suggestion - we baited ours with bits of Snickers bar, the mouse seemed quite keen on it - peanuts and chocolate combined!

Best of luck

Liz + Jed

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advise so far guys. Will try anything to catch the little blighter. Will have a go again in a wee while and will keep you updated! My Dad will just have to wait!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not caught him yet. He has been quiet for a while now, probably away to sleep!! Have put peanut butter down and a box ready as well as a tea towel. Fingers crossed I will catch the little blighter soon :? :lol: :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts