Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya everyone..

I have had my little Jess for nearly 2 weeks now she will be 12 weeks on Tuesday.. Have finally managed to settle her down in the evenings so now she is really gud and sleeps from about 11 pm till 6.30am, but when we leave her during the day she barks the house down, we have had several complaints from neighbours, how long will this last?

Also her biting is a major problem, she wont do it to my partner, but to me she is a nightmare, ankels, arms, hands, and especially my hair, she will climb all over me to get to it. I have tried telling her no, and holding her mouth closed for a few seconds, even giving her a light tap on the nose, but she things everything is a game? :(

Any one have any suggestions?

Thanx

Laura

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Laura,

Hopefully this link may help you sort out the nipping.

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-990.html

As for the barking, have you tried giving her something to do while you are gone?
You could put food inside something like a kong, so she has to work to get it out. It would keep her busy. :D Ben loves his kong and now he doesn't seen to care we are gone. :shock: :lol:

ps please don't tap you pup on the nose and hold her mouth shut as this will just make her worse! :D

HTH

Cristina

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi laura :)

the barking is probably because she misses you all :) try putting the radio om for her and like cristina said get a kong and fill it with food (food that will take time to get out) this will keep her occupied and also with her mouth full she cant bark..lol..but try music that way she may think your still home or even the tv :) is she locked up somewere when you go out??

holding her mouth closed should only be for a few secounds at the same time say no but yes there is no need to tap her :):)

your partner must be the dominent one in the household as she will not do it to him so you yourself see what your partner is doing and try be more assertive in what you say...

my hubby was the same with rosze she ignored me complety on commands as come here and down but done these perfectly with my husband so i raised my voice that bit more and said wehat i want more sternly and as soon as i done that things were great..but i do seem to talk to rosze like a baby most of the time so thats really not helping me..lol..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Laura
Have you tried ignoring her and walking away. The problem with saying 'no', holding her mouth closed is that you are still interacting with her, therefore she thinks you are still playing a game with her. Simply get up and walk away - out of the room if necessary. Be consistent and she should get the message. I wouldn't tap her on the nose (I know your only doing it lightly :) ), she may see this as part of the game, but she may also start associating hands near her as unpleasant.
Also, it is very important to teach her bite inhibition first.
There's some useful info in these links:
http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm
http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm

How long do you leave her during the day? Have you left her for short times and gradually increased it so she gets used to it. Do you leave her with anything toys, kong, radio on etc? She's still a baby, but rather than how long will it last, it's more likely that the more she does it the more it becomes a habit, so it's worth spending a little time now building her up to getting used to being on her own.
HTH :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hiya

Thanx everybody for your help, She is only left on her own for about 3 1/2 hours in the morning while i work, and she is kept in the kitchen when im not there with a stairgate at the door, and i do leave the TV on for her, and yes she does have toys to play with.. but i will try one of the those kong things you mentioned.

Thanx again

Laura

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya

Just thot id give u an update, with Jess's biting, I tried wot u suggested when she bites saying ow that hurts and not giving her much attention, this seemed to work a little last nite as she turned around and started looking for something else to get up 2..

So just a little thanx for all your suggestions

Laura x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts