Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have an 8 month old chocolate lab, it's my first lab, and shes full of energy as any puppy would be, I have a slight problem though.
Im currently unable to walk her for more than 5-10 minutes due to me having a back problem, so it's difficult for me as she pulls on her lead etc. Has anybody got any ideas on how to keep her entertained whilst im unable to walk, as im sure shes getting frustrated being unable to go out for walks, we have a fairly large back garden so she is mostly out there playing around.

Any tips would be grateful

Lindsay

·
Registered
364 Posts
The obvious suggestion is to play games of fetch with her, with a big garden it should be possible to give her bags of exercise while you could even sit in a chair

Mental stimulation is also very important, so training sessions and toys such as buster cubes etc, would all help to keep her occupied

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi stenty - sorry to hear you are not well, hope you get better soon :)

I agree with Nigel however on the walking side - my 9 month old lab can get just as tired having played retrieve for 20 mins as he can on a 20 min walk (actually he is more tired playing than walking bless him!)

Hope that helps? :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Most people I see on the beach with dogs dont actually walk them, they just stand in one place and heave balls about! .. so much for dog ownership being a good way of getting exercise! :lol:

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi stenty,
like you i have back problems. i have arthritus in my hips and spine so some days walking is dam near impossible. on these days i take max out in the back garden which is a good size, with a couple of different size balls and his frisbee. he will play fetch for as long as i let him normally about 15 mins at a time, 3 times a day. i keep an old chair out side so i can sit if nec. indoors we play hide the treats which keeps him mentally alert trying to find them. he has a lot of different textured toys which he now knows by name and will fetch. if he's still a bit frisky at night i sit in the chair with a TORCH. he will chase the beam till he drops. its one of his fav games.
hope you get some ideas from this.

jane and max.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey thanks for the tips will try some of these, I used to take her down the beach and actually walk her & play fetch, cookie has lots of toys which she is always playing around with, we play fetch alot already just don't want her to be getting bored, Like the torch idea though, will defo be trying that one soon

Thanks
Lindsay

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Lindsay

Smudge loves his Buster Cube and it gets him a lot of exercise as he pushes it around the floor (a bit noisy when it hits what's left of the skirting boards!) and chases it. Great for mental stimulation too.

We play fetch a lot too - I'm just having a few problems getting Smudge to drop his 'fetchee'!

Another good one for mental stimulation is the ever faithful Kong. I put peanut butter in Smudge's today before we left him and when we returned home tonight I was delighted to see my carpet tiles were still intact (he normally likes to pull them up and 'rearrange' them!) and he had been as good as gold.

All the best to you and hope you feel better soon.

Nicola.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi guys took some of your advice onboard, today i bought cookie a toy tyre, and a kong she loves the trye we played fetch today was god fun for both of us. not tried the kong yet any useful ideas on what i can put in it ?

thanks
Lindsay & cookie

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
stenty said:
not tried the kong yet any useful ideas on what i can put in it ?
Hi Lindsay (and Cookie!)

You may well find this thread of interest:-

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-94-kong.html

I have tried the Banana recipe from that link and my young man loved it! Also, he likes Peanut Butter smeared on the inside of it and I have heard people also do the same with Marmite. Both a bit pongy but good for our babies to chew!

Glad to hear that Cookie likes the tyre and best of luck with the Kong!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
In Corbie's kong i have tried the following, which he loves:

a slice of bread spread with cheap sandwich paste - chicken or ham & beef flavours - and stuff the kong with that.

scrambled egg and cheese. Microwave 1 egg with some cheese added in a jug then turn it out on a plate to cool down and then stuff the kong with that.

Those two keep him occupied the longest. Sometimes I freeze it for a while with some gravy and some of his dried food.

Am feeling hungry now! :lol:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Great ideas there Karen - the new Delia for doggies! lol! If you're getting hungry though, feel free to just eat from your plate and not out of the inside of a Kong! lol!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Glad you like the ideas ... now there's a thing, Delia for Doggies, first I'd have to teach them how to boil an egg :lol:

Nicola - I don't think I'd have the patience to eat from a kong!!! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts