Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the general myth is regarding the adult size of a lab puppy? Some say they will reach their adult size by 6 months, some by 9 months. Anybody have a more accurate method? At 5 months old my "babies" are already mid thigh on me but then I'm short at 5'2". By the size of their paws, they still have some growing to do! :lol:

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi im not sure on that either but rosze is 71\2 mths now and she is taller than my 6yr old lab which i thought strange.lol..as my other lab tessa was the same hight as brandy but rosze is all lanky legs..lol..
so ill watch this post and see what the average hight for the lab is..

maybe its to do with the type of breed?? ie working dog lines and such or am i talking rubbish..lol..ill just watch this post..LOL..

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure on the the height but males are normally bigger than females. But as for the reaching full size by 6 to 9 mths 8O be carefull because labs are such a fast growing breed we need to try to slow down the growth. I would hope that my lab would be fully grow at around 1 and a half to 2 yrs old. If a lab grows too fast it can cause serious problems. Hopefully John might read this post and advise a little futher... :D HTH

Cristina

G

·
Like Clair, I am unsure of the answer to this post.

But all I can say is that my Oscar is now 12 1/2 months and is still growing! :shock: although his growth has slowed down an awful lot.

So I'd be really interested to know when to expect him to stop. I think he's definately going to be a big labrador, but would love to know just how big! :lol:

Sarah x

·
Registered
353 Posts
My Scooby seems a big chap. At 6 months old he is now 22in at the shoulder (I got him to stand still for a millisecond :lol: )

I read that when full grown he should be 22-24 in! but I think he is going to be a lot bigger than that. He is about 25kg at the moment but still looks slim.

He has been fed half adult/ half puppy-jnr feed since I got him at 8 weeks. The breeder also fed this. He doesn't eat much at all. I am worried that he doesnt eat enough but he is still growing so it must be okay.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
The speed at which Labradors grow is such a difficult question, depending as it does on so many variables. Certainly different lines grow at different speeds. Food also has a large influence.

High growth high protein puppy foods can really accelerate the growth, not always to the benefit of the puppy, due to the increased weight in immature bones. This is the reason I like to get my puppies off of the Puppy foods rather earlier than most people and on to adult food.

I notice you are in the USA! Interesting because the AKC breed standard is rather different in height than the UK standard!

In the US the height is:- Dogs 22.5 to 24.5 to the withers and bitches 21.5 to 23.5

In the UK it is:- Dogs 22 to 22.5 and bitches 21.5 to 22

The US also quote a weight of dogs, 65 to 80 Lbs and bitches 55 to 70 lbs.
The UK do not quote a weight. Weight is a strange thing and something I try to avoid. Muscle weighs so much more than fat so in fact an obese dog can weigh less than a really fit dog. I was in my vets one day and Anna had just been weighed, when in walked a person with a great fat black dog. The rolls of fat on him seemed to take half an hour to stop moving! Being nosy I kept my eyes on the scales. This dog weighed 32Kg! (68lbs) Anna had just tipped the scales at 35Kg (87.5 lbs) with not an ounce of fat on her! The only accurate guide to the weight of a dog is your finger tips. Gently feel the rib cage. How do the ribs feel? Indistinct and your dog is over weight. Sharp and hard edged and the dog is under weight. Distinct but blurred by a layer of flesh and you are about right.

Regards, John

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
john your post has made me feel a lot better now...reason being my hubby has put rosze on adult food (she is 7 1\2mths old) and i wasnt really happy about this as i thought she should stay on puppy food but since he buys the food i couldnt say much really so now she has the same amount as my other lab brandy 6yrs ...they are both on 2 cups of food a day one cup lunch time then one cup tea time mondays and fridays they have pilchards mixed with there food...

just wondering is that enough for rosze or should she have a bit more than brandy since rosze is still a pup??? rosze is nice and slim not overweight nor underweight i must admit brandy is a little overweight but we are working on that..lol..

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
At nearly 5 months old, I know my Corbie has a lot of growing to do still... he's got to grow into those huge paws :lol: Everyone says he's going to be a big boy!! :shock:

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
I would be quite happy changing Clairiscrazy. I like to have mine changed over by 6 months. As to the amount of food, every dog is different. My old Bethany never put an ounce of fat on although I fed her double the amount I had to feed Lucy, who was also around at that time. Lucy got every ounce of goodness from her food whereas it seemed to pass through Bethany so quickly! Again, Bethany was verging on hyper active whereas Lucy would far rather sleep. All of this makes so much difference in food requirments.

Regards, John

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
john thx :)

yeah rosze is a bit hyper at the moment but i put that down to her still being a baby..lol..brandy is the lazy one but she is getting on in years now..lol..so she likes to sleep and rosze likes trying to pull her off the furniture by her collar cant beleive how strong she is..lol..

i might just up rosze food intake maybe to 3 cups a day instead of the 2 oh well that means ian will give me a huge I TOLD YA SO look..lol..

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
What is there left to say when John has said it all. It is so true re muscle and we cannot equate weight to weight on individual dogs.
But I do think that a lot of people do over feed their dogs plus all the treats they give them, which never seem to be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
i used some of maxs kibble as rewards and treats but have now started to chop up an apple and carrot and some times a bit of banana and use that instead

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
With puppies we have to slowly increase the amount of food as the puppy grows. At a certain point, the growth rate slows and food requirement drops from what could be called "A growing rate" to a "Maintenance rate" There is no more bone to be made or size to be increased, just the need to maintain what there already is. During the first six months well over half of the growing is completed. From six months to a year, possibly another quarter is added leaving just a quarter or less of growing to be done during the last year. From this it is easy to see how the food requirement drops. The problem is, people often do not think of it like this so they continue at what was at one time the optimum amount. They are over feeding without realising that the dogs needs have dropped.

Never stop looking at your dog, never stop feeling the ribs. Because I work my dogs, food requirements during the shooting season when they are working is totally different to during the summer months and as such I have to continually be making small changes to their diet.

Regards, John

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
yes i know about that as brandy was on 4 cups a day then gradually we went down to 3 now we are at 2 as i know she is a little overweight..

but rosze i think she may need a little more food so ill up it to 3 cups for a while and see how we go if i need to bring it back down i will :):)

like you say dogs need different amounts of food

i have also notice they tend not to eat as much in the summer months but go back to there normal feed in the winter months or is that just my dogs??..lol..

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
This is true Claire. The very action of maintaining body heat uses up energy in dogs as in humans and energy requirements = food requirements. Shivering also uses up energy and add to that the fact that the dog feels more like running than it does in the heat and it all adds up to a quite high energy requirement in the winter.

Of course, centrally heated houses mean that the difference is never going to be as great for the domestic dog as for the wild animals but the principal is just the same.

Regards, John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts