Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, our izzy is 6months old now and still not fully house trained.We bought her a crate and when we take her out of it we put her lead on her and take her out and she will go then. But if she is in the house and not in her crate she does not give us an inkling that she wonts to go and she just does it. We have tried alsorts with her but she doesnt seem to be learning. Any ideas on what we can do? :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

I am definatley not an expert as this is our first lab and I'm sure someone else will answer who is more knowledgable than me, however with Jessie (8months old now) we also have a crate and from day one whenever we took her out of the crate we would take her outside and after every meal. For the first 3 weeks she was similar to your lab, in that sometimes she would just go without warning, so the only real remedy was to be watching her all the time she wasn't in her crate, if we couldn't watch her 100% of the time she was in her crate.

If she did make to squat we quickly diverted her outside and made a real fuss of her when she went, said the word that we decided we ould use to mean go to the toilet and gave her a treat. It was hard to watch her 100% of the time she wasn't in her crate but within 3 weeks she learnt that the place to go was outside and that the word meant to go to the toilet. Now she goes to the back door if she needs to go and we don't need to put her on the lead as she knows the spot in the garden that is her toilet spot ( I didn't want her going all over the lawn :)

The other key thing I think was to never tell her off for going inside, particularly if we didn't actually see her do it, we just made a loud noise (not enough to scare her just get her attention) if she started to squat and quickly took her outside to divert her attention. By doing this consistently she just learnt that the place to go was outside.

Within a month of being here (by 13 weeks old) she has been perfectly well toilet trained, so much so that she won't go when she is out on a walk unless we tell her to go (using the word we chose) which we only do when out in the country for the day as on a normal walk she goes before or after we go out.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Mono33
I'm not sure what methods your using, but I'd go back to basics. Take her out regularly and when she starts going give her a command ('hurry up', 'be quick' or whatever - doesn't matter what it is as long as you use the same one each time) and then praise her.
If she goes indoors clear up any mess without fuss, but make sure you clean any area where she goes indoors with a solution of biological washing liquid or cleaner specially designed for the purpose. Ordinary cleaners will still leave a scent that will encourage them to go back to the same place.
Rather like children, some learn quickly others take longer, so don't worry. If you are consistent she will catch on.
HTH :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts