Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we've got a buyer for our house which we've lived in for 22 years, we've been viewing houses today and now have a bit of a quandary.
One house we like is in exactly the area we said we wanted to move to, really nice house, few little things need doing as there are in any house. We thought, yes this would be brilliant, just perfect and makes sense for us and ticks all the boxes for what we wanted.
Last house we viewed isn't in the area we were looking at but it intrigued us as it's out in the countryside and basically Di fell in love with the pictures of the kitchen. Went to view it and we have both fallen head over heals for it, it's in a fantastic location, has brilliant walking just on the doorstep and is in a lovely little community of houses which were built on the site of an old water mill. The trouble is it's slightly smaller than we were looking for, has no garage and is about 15 minutes drive away from where we were intending to live.

Should we be sensible or just go for it and follow our hearts????

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Tough one :? Is there much price difference? We are sort of in the same predicament. Saw a house we fell in love with last year, ticked all the right boxes and they took it off the market before we had chance to get our butts into gear (although they didn't know that) The estate agent said they took it off the market because they had no interest at all and they would be putting it back up for sale later in the year. I have been looking for something to catch my eye for months. Want something different, no new builds, plenty of space, out houses, big hall and staircase but most of all, huge kitchen to cook, sit, relax in and we can't find anything! Nothing at all! So thought about moving out of the area which we were looking and still nothing, nowhere has the right feel about it. So i would say, if you and Di have found something that has a good feel to it, then do it. Ok its not quite how you thought it would be, but if it feels right, then go for it. You may not find it again and be stuck, like us, waiting for the same house to go back on sale :roll:

·
Registered
134 Posts
house buying

Go with your heart and instincts, you won't regret it, it's meant to be. I have always said a house, if it is the right one, "wraps itself around you" the minute you set foot in the door.
Hope you make the right decision for you
Heather

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'd rather advise to go with your head than heart - I made a mistake going with my heart almost 3 years ago & I regret it now. We bought a house that I loved but that wasn't the best decision - the state of the house is much worse than we though & the area isn't best as well. We're considering selling that house at the moment as the only plus side is that it has is a huge garden :(

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sensible house is quite a bit dearer as it's bigger, has a garage and is in a 'good' part of the town we want to move to.
The other house is in a lovely area, really is Lab heaven, woods at the back, fields in front and a lake about 5 minutes walk away. It is just brilliant for walking and would be a fantastic lifestyle.
I think we're heading with our hearts :lol:

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mibec said:
I'd rather advise to go with your head than heart - I made a mistake going with my heart almost 3 years ago & I regret it now. We bought a house that I loved but that wasn't the best decision - the state of the house is much worse than we though & the area isn't best as well. We're considering selling that house at the moment as the only plus side is that it has is a huge garden :(
The heart house is absolutely immaculate, the standard of fitting and decorating is really high, it really is just that we are further away from the area we wanted to move to and also our friends, but it's not too far away really.

·
Registered
588 Posts
We have moved a few times........4 owned in 10 years and plenty of rentals in between.

Heart is fine as long as pockets deep enough for essential work. Importantly try to have similar expectations re what if anything will be done to it or must be done to it.

I would say location is key if accomodation is acceptable.

A lot to be said for living in a pleasant area & appreciating what is around you. We are fortunate enough to be living in an area that interests us and which we are proud of. Nice walks nearly on doorstep. Not living in a shoebox but we could have bought bigger or better spec for similar money but in areas we like less. Happy with our choice even if still needs some further improvement.

Do be careful to check on local and future plans, proposed developments &/or land sales in the pipeline as sellers sometimes move for reasons not known to buyers.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
teejayw said:
The other house is in a lovely area, really is Lab heaven, woods at the back, fields in front and a lake about 5 minutes walk away. It is just brilliant for walking and would be a fantastic lifestyle.
I think we're heading with our hearts :lol:
With that description, I'd be going with my heart too :)

I knew as soon as I walked into this place that it was going to be ours.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Lake 5 mins away.... Luna would lead me heart way.... With a running splash!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I bought my house nearly 28 years ago when I was first married. I fell in love with it and could see us bringing children up in it. We were gutted when someone had beat us to putting an offer in! So we searched and searched but nothing matched the house I loved. I remember one particular house we looked at, we walked in and I had such a horrid feeling (that I couldn't explain)about the place that I HAD to get out of it pretty damn quick! 8O A few weeks later the estate agent rang and said the previous offer fell through so we bought it! :D
So 2 children, 3 dogs and one divorce later, I still love my house! I have thought about down sizing but I just can't see myself anywhere else!

So in answer to your question, go with your heart!! :wink: :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,582 Posts
Trevor we have recently moved away completely from Southampton.A house we have lived in for nearly 37 years.We have moved to a 7 year old b ungalow in Verwood Dorset.This was also the last property we looked at.We walked in and instantly fell in love.We have left friends and Family,and have not regretted the move at all.Everything is lovely,people are friendly,plenty of walks for Tara.Go for it I say.If it really is what you want.Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I tend to follow my heart and usually It turns out to be the right decision. Sometimes I end up telling myself that I should have been more measured in my choices though and "I must have had to learn a lesson".

On one hand you can never be sure just quite what you want until you find it.
On the other, why did you want the original location or a garage? If there were really solid reasons they coud raise their heads in the future. Fifteen minutes isn't far at all but if you like to walk or bike everywhere and now you will have to drive is the house enough to compensate you for the loss of lifestyle? If you have fallen in love with the house because your eyes have been opened to a new and inviting life and you now realise that you will enjoy the lake etc more than the original area then I say trust your heart. If you have fallen in love with the house because of the fixtures and fittings try to be realistic about your lifestyle, everything internally can be changed and you can even replicate the things you love in the other house.

If I was in your position I know that eventually I would run with my heart but I would really have to be sure that the original criteria was a wish list and not a need list.

Good luck in your new home, you already know which one you want really. :0)

Amanda, Roxy and Buster

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Heart has ruled all our lifestyle decisions. All my family live in a ten minute radius of me and I couldn't be without them. We had chances to relocate to different parts of the country and even emigrate. I get homesick on a 2 week holiday. Not for the house but for my family. The saying "home is where the heart is" seems to work for me.

?

·
0 Posts
I went with my head 27 years ago and have regretted it ever since. My house is just a house and I'll not be sad to move from it if ever I find enough money to do so, even though I've raised my family here. Next house I buy, I'll definitely go with my gut instinct rather than facts and figures, as it's not as easy as "Oh well, I'll move if I don't like it there", as I found out to my cost.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just to add on the garage issue.........I have car OCD, despise marks on vehicle paintwork & don't have a garage or scope for one. Also have plenty of non car stuff to store.

Despite this we would rather live where we are now rather than the last house which was mixed housing setting new build 5 bed with double garage.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts