Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I had George castrated on Tuesday and since he has come home he has been licking and biting at an area of his hip rather than picking at where he has been castrated.
This morning i noticed he had a bald spot about the size of a 50p on his hip. Thankfully George was going for vet check this morning so i mentioned it to the nurse who got the vet. The vet says it's called a Hot Spot which is common in labs and rotties (something i've never heard about) and that is a kind of wet dermatitis.

I asked what caused it and he said if its round the head its likely to be because of an ear infection. If its the hip area the anal glands are blocked, George's anal glands were checked and are fine, so the vet says its because of the castration, rather than licking at where he has been castrated he's picked an area nearby to lick and bite at. Also he said that been operated on and castrated has made George stressed, which is another likely cause.
So George has been shaved over and around the affected area, washed and been given a steroid cream and a lampshade collar and is not happy at all. Hopefully within a few days the hotspot should start clearing up and virtually disappear within a week.

Has anybody else had any experience or knowledge of hotspots? I am concerned it could be a lifelong problem for George even though the vet says its a one off, George is now in the habit of licking and biting that area.

Many thanks for reading. :)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
coal has had a hot spot before on his face which was caused by finn biting him when he was a pup.
I bathed coals and then used flower of sulphur powder on it which worked wonders and cleared it up nicely.
Hope it heals quickly for him. Coal hasn't had a re occurance.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
My border collies used to get them loads in Oz, but I've not had a dog with one over here yet.
I also used flower of sulphur powder, it cleans & dries the hot spot and it clears up quickly with treatment.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Stan had one a while back but it took me a while to realize as his hair is so thick. He'd scratched it so much it was a real mess, but cleared up quickly with the stuff the vet gave him. Can't remember what it was now, some kind of cream that dried it out. He had to wear little kid's socks on his paws to stop him scratching- he wasn't impressed but at least he wasn't stood stock still in abject terror as he was when the lampshade was on him so it may be worth giving that a try as an alternative. He made a very fast recovery once the cream started working and hasn't scratched it again or had any recurrences so far.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Phoebe my cocker spaniel gets these really bad and the vet always gives her antibiotics since she had a huge one on her head. Hers are due to a food allergy i think, shes just recently had another. We had cream and antibiotics again and i was told to keep the area clean with Hibiscrub too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the advice, its seems quite a common ailment. But it had me worried about him. Its nice to know its nothing to serious.

George hasn't been scratching just licking and biting which is why he was given the collar.

Does anybody know where I can get the flower of sulphur powder from?
Its something i've not heard about before.
George has been given Fuciderm to be applied twice a day for a week. But its worth having the flower of sulphur powder to hand in case he gets it again.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts