Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby is 11 and a half months old and finished her first season about 2 months ago. She if going to be neutered in 2 weeks time.
The past few day she has really started scratching at things, especially the carpet, really going at it. She hasn’t done this before. It’s as if she is quite stressed when doing it but absolutely no reason for her to be stressed
Was just wondering if this could be hormones kicking back in again? Even though she didn’t do it first time round, she was more into humping the sofa.
Any ideas?

·
Administrator
20,474 Posts
Phantom pregnancy. The gestation period for a bitch is around 63 days, so two months after a season her pups would be just about due. This is the reason vets normally like to spay around 3 months after a season, a month after pups would arrive so any hormones would be dropping away.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah I see so not really anything I can do other than wait it out and be supportive of her?

·
Administrator
20,474 Posts
That's all. They all have their little ways. With my Chloe it's the ghost under the washing machine! She is always fed beside the washing machine, but a couple of months after a season she refuses to eat there and I have to move her food bowl to the other side of the kitchen, into the hall doorway. Then she stands in the hall eating away with no problems. A month or so later and she's happy with her bowl beside the washing machine again. It happens every time!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah we have a ghost in our spare room as well
She’s gone off her food this morning, I read this was normal though

·
Administrator
20,474 Posts
Yep, it is. One of mine always dug a big hole on the flower bed, as a nest for her pups. We always left it until she was past that point then filled it in again. If we had filled it in earlier she would only have dug another somewhere else, so it seemed better to just have one hole. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes this is under a bunk bed that she’s digging the carpet so I think she thinks it’s a perfect place to nest, to be honest I wish she would just dig a hole in the garden 😐

1 - 7 of 7 Posts