Labradors Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi, we're hoping to have a lab in our life later this year. I hope you don't mind I'll be reading your posts and try to educate myself on things I need to know. We're based in Chorley and hoping to adopt a black lab puppy sometime in November.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hi and welcome.
You've picked the best breed and the best colour....but, I may be a little biased.:LOL: I'll look forward to hearing all about your new pup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @JohnW we've looked at NW Lab rescue, we're not sure a rescue is the right way to start our dog ownership.... We need some experience first I think.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I'm over the other side of the Pennines from you, lots of research about the sort of Labrador you're after, whilst they should all be similar, you do get differences between working lines, show bred, and a huge gene pool of pet bred that vary hugely in appearance. Champdogs and the UK KC are the best places to read up on health testing and the breed standard, just bare in mind KC registration is not a guarantee of any quality, you still need to do a lot of research to find a good breeder. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah we just want a good family dog that we can take on good walks and have a good relationship with. Finding a good breeder seems to be a minefield but we are getting a comprehensive list of questions to ask when we do start looking properly.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Yeah we just want a good family dog that we can take on good walks and have a good relationship with. Finding a good breeder seems to be a minefield but we are getting a comprehensive list of questions to ask when we do start looking properly.
My dogs are all my best friends, so despite the fact I dabble a bit (time allowing) with gundog training, showing and even working them, I still want a healthy puppy with the odds stacked in the favour of them having a good healthy life, as happy representatives of the breed, ie good temperament. I hear a lot of people say 'I just want a pet', where as really, the most important role a dog will ever fill is being our companions and best friends, any other activity we do is a bonus, even better if they are good at it.

There are so many breeders profiteering at the minute, and just churning out litter after litter, and then complaining as the KC website isn't running up to date. OK so the KC changed their database mid pandemic and it was a mess, but also, when breeders realised the money changing hands for pups a lot just starting breeding litters for the sake of it to cash in on the inflated prices. I even had some people contact me asking for help (I offer to help on an FB group if people are looking for pups to tell them what to look for etc) they had been on a waiting list for over a year, short story, the breeder decided they wanted more money, lied about availability, then offered them the same pup for over double the initial price. The KC have openly stated that litter registrations rocketed during lockdown, so that tells you something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks @Tarimoor it just seems crazy right now. So many pups available on KC right now, but we can't take one in just yet. any particular FB group that's useful?

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Thanks @Tarimoor it just seems crazy right now. So many pups available on KC right now, but we can't take one in just yet. any particular FB group that's useful?
The one I created is Chocolate Labradors UK. (with the full stop at the end). So probably not that helpful, as you want a black Labrador, but we don't exclude members with other colours, they are all welcome. I've currently got a chocoalte, liver and black, along with my two other breeds.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
It's the same on the chocolate Labradors group, we encourage people task about health tests and research, even ask about breeding, but no specific questions or adverts allowed of any kind, facebook is not the best place, or forums in general.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Trouble is, you cant vet all the people advertising, so the next thing you know is the puppy farmers are advertising. People they buy from them thinking "The breeder must be OK because I got the advert from Labrador Forums." So better we dont advertise anybody. We just tell people what to look for in a puppy.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
170 Posts
Are you sure a Labrador and a Wombat would get along nicely? I'd be worried being the latter ;)

·
Registered
Hailey, Yellow Lab
116 Posts
Trouble is, you cant vet all the people advertising, so the next thing you know is the puppy farmers are advertising. People they buy from them thinking "The breeder must be OK because I got the advert from Labrador Forums." So better we dont advertise anybody. We just tell people what to look for in a puppy.
Ah this makes sense. Thanks for the explanation- I had wondered why you did not allow any advertising of litters.😊

1 - 19 of 19 Posts