Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally Homer is well behaved and responds well to recall, sit, down and wait and leave.

He will not respond to DROP.

He will pick up a sock or shoe from time to time and especially my knitting wool and come up to show you he has it then when we reach out and say "drop" the chase is on! He will run around the house and not let us catch him while holding on to what he has picked up.
If I go to the kitchen and open his treat box he will come running and drop what he has very nicely for a treat, sometimes dropping the object on the way.

This has become a BIG game for him and he has us running in circles around him. I cannot make him drop anything other than in the kitchen for a treat, he will even bargain for a more tasty, larger treat if I hold out two or three pieces of kibble.

I'm very aware that all I'm doing is reinforcing his game by giving him a treat even though he has not responded to my command.

It does worry me as it is possible he might, one day, pick up something dangerous that we need him to drop quickly without all the fuss when treats are not readily available.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm not sure if this is any help, but it's what's worked for me...

First thing - I've had to drill it into the kids - whatever Poppy has got, do not chase her. She is fast and slippery! Stay calm, walk into the kitchen to get a treat, tell her to drop and then give her the treat once the object is in your hand. If she has dropped it on the way, I go and pick it up and then give her the treat. She also gets a random mixture of treats - sometimes it's yummy cooked chicken, sometimes it's a dry biscuit. Now that she drops on command, she sometimes just gets a fuss and a good girl - so she never knows. I also make sure I don't take everything off her, sometimes she is so proud of herself when she's found a sock, I do let her show it to all the family, then I ask her to drop, which she does without a problem. Despite all this though, if we're outside and there's some discarded food, I would say it's 50:50 whether I would be able to get Poppy to drop that!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Simples ;) treat everything he carries as the best thing in the world. Act interested and call him to you. Don't attempt to take it. Give him fuss and strokes and don't go near it. If he walks away let him he'll soon come back to have the attention. Don't give him any attention if he isn't showing it to you and with you. Moment he runs, don't give chase and act un interested. He'll soon come back thinking hang on this normally works.
Slowly after patience and a few times u can take the object. Then give it straight back. Praise loads.
Eventually u will be able to call him to u and take something he shouldn't have. For now keep treats in a pouch or something on you so u can reward when he's with u if u do need to take it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
_Sam_ said:
Simples ;) treat everything he carries as the best thing in the world. Act interested and call him to you. Don't attempt to take it. Give him fuss and strokes and don't go near it. If he walks away let him he'll soon come back to have the attention. Don't give him any attention if he isn't showing it to you and with you. Moment he ran, don't give chase and act in interested. He'll soon come back thing hang on this normally works.
Slowly after patience and a few times u can take the object. Then give it straight back. Praise loads.
Eventually u will be able to call him to u and take something he shouldn't have. For now keep treats in a pouch or something on you so u can reward when he's with u if u do need to take it.
I reckon that that's pretty good advice !!

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Sam has got her advice spot on IMO!

I took on an absolutely gorgeous 14month old rescue pup a couple of years back who had obviously lived in a house that chased him previously! It took a consistent and patient approach over about 6months to see proper and consistent results using Sam's method but do you know what it was worth every single second invested! He finds 'treasure' and proudly brings it to me, waggles around with it being praised or fussed and if I get things really right and he has something REALLY special (like my stinky socks for example) he'll even insist I drop what I'm doing and attempt to share them with me in my mouth!

Our relationship has blossomed with the approach Sam outlines so Go For It! :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go.
A further problem is if he picks up something wooly like a wooly hat or gloves or my knitting wool he will shake it and chew it before showing me what he has got.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I'm afraid I've always classed that as my fault/error rather than his... I have holey gloves, socks, etc. The more he has rushed to show me what he has the less shaking/chewing he has done en route... things only get damaged nowadays should Luna get involved nowadays and it turn into a game of tuggy!!! Keep precious things out of reach tis the only safe thing to do with labradors around just the same as when there are human toddlers around too!!! ;-)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yes, Homer has definitely made us much tidier around the house and we keep doors to certain room closed, especially the bathroom as shredding toilet paper is a favourite game, at least only a few pence a roll rather than a pair of leather gloves. :(

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hey. I can't really add anything to the excellent advice already given but I'll share my story.

I found teaching Gemma "drop it" really easy. I'd just let her play with a toy and wait for her to drop it on her own accord. I'd calmly follow her round so I could catch the moment, but never chase. The moment she chose to drop it I'd say "drop it! yes drop it!" big fuss, treat and she mastered the command after maybe 20 repetitions over 2-3 days.

Now she'll drop anything in a blink because she knows it gets her a treat which seems to win her priority list every single time :lol: In fact I'm starting to have the opposite problem now. On a fetch I don't have to ask her to drop it anymore it's become automatic, but now she's started to drop things too early in anticipation of the treat awaiting!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Milo responds to "Not a toy" which came about by accident after he dropped something he had when I chastised him for having something he shouldn't, Now its either Not a toy and he drops it (mostly*) or when I say almost anything else and its GAME ON !!! to chase.
When he does drop it he then gets told to fetch a toy and we have a game just to reinforce the fact it isnt just boring to drop it.

* Of course checking whether he would drop a tasty chicken wing the other day made him take off around the garden although he did return when I sat down so I could hold the other end for him to gnaw on...Needs more work I fear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts