Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed near the end on Homer's morning walk that his one toenail was sticking out at a funny angle, on a closer look back at home, it was partly torn close to the wick. This afternoon it tore off completely. It's torn right close to the wick wich is exposed and looks a bit red and sore. It does not appear to be bothering him too much but he is licking it a bit.

I presume it will grow back but is there anything I should do in the meantime. How best can I keep his toe clean?

·
Registered
93 Posts
We had this Monty had to go in and have it removed as it had split right down to the pad area. He was on lead for few weeks and had antibiotics.

Hope he is ok :D

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Keep an eye for infection

I understand warm salt water on regular basis the best "home remedy"

Needless to say... try and keep out of water and puddles for a few days. Not so easy in soggy England at the moment!

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it hasn't reached the quick then I'd not worry about it.
Keep an eye on it for a few days to satisfy yourself that all is OK.
We've had dogs for nigh on fifty years. Over each of their lifetimes a chipped or torn claw has happened to them.
Even on two occasion I've 'nipped the quick', when trimming their claws, have we had to resort to a vets visit.
Like DJGoody says, a bathe in salty water, and keeping the wound clean has done the trick for us.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is right to the quick, even exposing it. The quick looks a bit red and sore at the end. We'll bath it in salt water as often as we can and hope the claw grows back. Keeping him out of mud and water will be impossible, so will have to bathe it after every walk.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
George tore his dew claw last year. It did not completely come off so we needed to go to the vet and they trimmed it off.

The 'quick' was all red. We got some antibiotic/steroid ointment to put on it and it was bandaged for a day (poor George kept doing the sad eyes and the I've-got-a-sore-paw look) Took bandage off the next day as it was bothering him.

The quick hardened up in a few days.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I'd pop to the vets as any infection there can be v serious.

Jed was on strong antibiotics after getting an infection there when he ripped off the whole nail leaving all the quick expoaed

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Off to the Vet tis evening. So will see what they say. Bank account I know will say OUCH! as he was only at the vet two weeks ago for an infected nipple. Poor thing, I think he may be doing it all deliberately as he LOVES the vet.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A quick trip to the vet and all is well. There is enough of the nail bed there for the nail to grow back. Anti inflammatories and to keep it clean with Hibiscrub which we already have from before. Lead walks for the next few days. £50 but I'm glad I went. Homer was so helpful, and watched intently when the vet showed me how to measure out the correct dose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts