Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i hoping someone can give me some advice, my puppy holly is 12 weeks old and we have had her for about a week and a half, the day after we got her, she started with the runs, at first i thought that it was just her getting use to everything, such a big change for her, then the day after i noticed that she was bleeding everytime she had the runs, i booked appointment at the vets and she said it was normal for puppies and kittens. she checked her oevr and said that she may had inflammed insides due to pooing so much. three days later i take her back to have her jabs but she is still bleeding so no jabs, they give her a injection and i am to go back in two days, she is still bleeding everytime she poo`s but no other time, sometimes it is just after she poo`s that she bleeds as well.

could some one please tell me if they have had this happen to their puupy?

sorry to bother you all but am now a bit concerened as it has been over a week.

many thanks trace

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi trace123
Has she had the runs ever since you had her, - ie no solid poos. When the bowel is inflammed it can cause bleeding and it is not uncommon, but I would be a bit concerned if this has been going on ever since you had her. What did the vet say re her diet. Is she still on the food the breeder gave her? Have you tried starving her, and giving her rice and chicken? Was she ok when you picked her up from her breeder and have you spoken to her breeder about it?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI Trace123
I know sometimes change of water and enviroment can make a puppy a bit loose and perhaps a little blood if they strain, but if it has gone on since you have had her I would be a little concerned. Have you changed her food? do you just give her water to drink?
How is her appetite/ and is she lively. At the moment keep a strict eye on her, and if her condition changes take her straight back to the vet. Please let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

many thanks for your concern and replies,

i have not changed her diet and she always has fresh water out, i take her out every 15 mins and she seems happy and runs about everywhere!

i am really hoping it will clear up in the next few days as she seems to be going less and less to the toilet, she only went three times during last night which was a big improvement,so hopfully it was just the change.

i will keep you posted and once agin many thanks

trace :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi there

we got Lucy at 8 weeks and within a couple of days she had blood in her poos - we didn't panic straight away - thinking, like you that she was just adjusting to her new environmnent, however it carried on and sometimes there were clots of blood as well. We mentioned it to the vet who examined her and said it was very common for puppies to strain too hard and for the tiny blood vessels around the anus to burst so we weren't too worried. It carried on though for quite a few weeks and she did seem to be pooing an awful lot. In the end the vet decided to worm her. Not sure if this is what helped but it stopped as quickly as it started and she also stopped going so much. She never seemed unwell at all.
Hope you get your puppy sorted out - I can't believe what a worry they are! It's like having babies again :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE

hi all,

just a quick note to say that finally holly has stopped bleeding, we took her for her jabs yesterday and she was wormed at the same time, the next few hours she had some really bad worms come out of her , looking at the book they were whipworms, and they can cause bloody poo`s, so hopefully now she will be ok, the only thing that worries me now is that the eggs can stay in her and hatch up to a few years later.

not sure if anyone has had these before if so can they give me advice, i phoned the vet but they were not worried, so maybe i should not be

many thanks for all your help

trace

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Trace
So glad to hear that Holly is much better. Has your vet not suggested that she is wormed again say in about 4 weeks, and again perhaps in another month until no worms are seen? Then it is necessary to worm all dogs every six months. It is always better to use a preparation from the vet and not to buy products in the pet shop, especially for young puppies. All the best and I am sure she will bring you so much pleasure, like all our Labradors to to their owners.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

hi
many thanks for your help, yes i forgot to say that i am going to worm her every month, i am taking her back in two weeks time and am picking up the tablet then, i wouldn`t use anything from the supermarket although i am sure they are ok i just want the best for her.

many thanks for taking the time to reply,

trace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts