Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know how the song goes, well my 13 week old puppy Ben has his 2nd jab today and the vet nurse had a feel and guess what she could only feel one testicle. She said the other might yet drop as he is still very young. My other puppy, Ben's litter mate Max has two visible testicles already.
does anyone have experience of testicles being reluctant to make an appearance? and am I worrying prematurely?

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
An interesting fact for you. The testes dont "drop" They are actually pulled down, at least part way by the gubernaculum, which then atrophies.

But in answer to your question, dont worry! There is plenty of time yet, certainly up to 6 months old. In fact I have heard of them descending at up to a year old! Often you find one or both can appear and disappear again. Once the gubernaculum has atrophied there is nothing to hold them down, but once two have appeared you can be pretty certain they will eventually remain down. Dont fixate on them, let nature take it's course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's reassuring John, thank you. I think I will be having both puppies neutered eventually so it's not that I'm worried about not being able to breed from him, rather it's the potential complications that can develop.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our 20 week old lab boy was the same. When we got him at 11 weeks he had only one testicle descended and now two are visible - not all the time as one sneaks back into its hiding place sometimes

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
Our 20 week old lab boy was the same. When we got him at 11 weeks he had only one testicle descended and now two are visible - not all the time as one sneaks back into its hiding place sometimes
Dont worry, that often happens. It will settle down with time. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts