Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Im obviously a newbie here so just a few questions about hip scores?? What are they? Whats the average? What do they tell you about your pup or pups mum??

Just everything really??

Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere i had a quick look but not a proper search!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Hi Joey, I can email you a sheet on these if you wish to drop me a email to [email protected] - and I can reply with the sheet.

VERY briefly, hip scores should be *done* on any dog that might or is going to be bred from to see if their joints are good. We have a problem in our breed with arthritis and varying joint formation and strength problems and viewing if both parents joints are healthy before breeding, gives the offspring a far better chance of being helathy themselves throughout their lives.

Breeding without having hip scores done is breeding 'blind'.

So for any one dog they range between 0 (best score possible) and 106 (worst score possible). The breed average currently stands at around a hip score of 15 as a total for a dog. When a dogs hips are 'assessed' or 'scored' they get a score for each hip from 53. So you can either express it as two figures so
Left Hip: 4 Right Hip: 2 (for example) OR you can just express it as a total - so '6'. So out of a possible total of 106 '6' would be absolutely excellent.

Does that help a little. As I say its the parents not the pups, the xrays are taken at a breeders (and a breeder is anyone who mates a bitch to have pups not someone 'professional' or anything) own vets, and the xrays are sent to the British Vet Asssociation for scoring. Its not hugely expensive but is essential to help promote good health for all those people who buy our puppies in our breed with known hereiditary problems.

Ask anything else unclear
Di

1 - 2 of 2 Posts