Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Branta went for hip scores and elbow grades yesterday, she was a complete wuss having to walk away from me, it's been really hard with lockdown as there are so many things she's not used to. She was fine once inside apparently, was quiet for the injection and when she came round.

The good news is her hips are going to be pretty much the same as her mum/sister, so 4/4 or 5/5, and elbows look like a 0/0. It'll be a couple of years yet before I decide to go ahead, but that's the 'biggie' out of the way, now to wait and hope the official results match the predicted ones.

·
Administrator
21,397 Posts
Sounds similar to my Amy then who was 5/4, and she was still working at 12 years old. :)

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds similar to my Amy then who was 5/4, and she was still working at 12 years old. :)
As you know, Tau's still going pretty strong and will be 15 in just over a month, and Zasa is now 9 and still fit as a fiddle. Let's hope Branta has inherited those genes. I know Tau's dam lived to be either 14 or 15 as well, and Ozzie's sire was, lived until he was 15 I believe. So we have long lived grand parents and great grandparents, never any guarantee, but nice to have behind them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

First post here on this forum !

I have been looking at getting a new pup after losing our Lab recently and found a litter that ticks all the boxes and everything looks good in the five generation pedigree.
But, the mother hasn't been hip and elbow scored, her sisters have and they are fine.
My question is why would you not hip and elbow test a Lab you're breeding from and is it OK to go ahead on the basis of the sisters scores.
This puppy is not cheap !!

·
Premium Member
9,039 Posts
No, walk away.

·
Administrator
21,397 Posts
Trouble is, you dont know if the bitch is untested, or the ex-rays were taken and seen to be not good so were never posted to the BVA for scoring. Sadly this does happen. If a dog is bred from but not scored you have to assume that the breeder did not think the score would be very good. There is no other reason for not scoring, certainly not cost, because at around £500 in round figures, the price of just one pup would far more than cover it. Yes I know the BVA have been a bit slow during the pandemic, but it's been possible and planning ahead is part of breeding.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

First post here on this forum !

I have been looking at getting a new pup after losing our Lab recently and found a litter that ticks all the boxes and everything looks good in the five generation pedigree.
But, the mother hasn't been hip and elbow scored, her sisters have and they are fine.
My question is why would you not hip and elbow test a Lab you're breeding from and is it OK to go ahead on the basis of the sisters scores.
This puppy is not cheap !!
No, you want good hips and elbows, hips around or below the breed median of 9, and nice and even, so 5/5, 4/4 is fine, 0/0 is the best so the lower the better, but a few points above 9 doesn't bother me. Elbows should be 0, so a 0/0 grade, KC advice is to only breed on from this elbow grade.

Other than that they need a current clear BVA eye certificate, so within the last 12 months, and DNA status known for prcd-PRA, CNM, EIC, HNPK and SD2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts