Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I have posted this question on the Introductions forum as well - I have a 6 month old black girl pup who is simply wonderful in every way - just sorry we didn't decide to have a dog years ago. However, there is one thing my husband and I are a little concerned about. Although she is fine during exercise, either walking or running, when she has been asleep for a while (especially in the lounge at night!) she seems really stiff and struggles when she tries to get up. Is this normal in such a young pup - I would expect it of an older dog. We have a very large kitchen which has a tiled floor and sometimes during her 'mad half an hour' she slips and slides all over the place, banging into units etc. We have always been careful not to over exercise her but she has a free run of the garden which is half an acre. Should we be being more careful with her?
I look forward to hearing your advice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi there

Jess is the same sometimes if she has been out running about, she gets out of her bed after sleeping for a bit and seems stiff sometimes but other times she seems fine.(she's 11 months old now)

Think they just get stiff like us sometimes

Gordon

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi julesmf
Sorry to disagree with the others and I don't want to alarm you, but I would be a bit concerned if she has difficulty getting up and is stiff. Do you notice this particularly in the morning? It could be nothing, it could be HD, it could be some other problem, it could be as a result of overexercise/contant slipping on the flooring etc, but I would still be a bit concerned if she has difficulty in getting up. Can you put some rugs down in the kitchen (taped down so they don't slip either :) ), or steer her outside when she has her mad moments.
Have you spoken to your vet about it? They may not suggest xrays as they would be only be able to tell is that there is a problem, not that there is no problem (hope that makes sense :) ).
HTH :)

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Julesmf,

I agree with lablover, you should get it checked out just to be on the safe side. The sooner a problem is discovered the less damage is done and the recovery more hopeful. Don't mean to alarm you you, it may be nothing :? but having a lab with ocd in the elbow and the heart ache it has caused i would not wish it on any dog.

Take care

Cristina & Ben

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
many thanks for your replies. In answer to your question, Lablover, she is fine in the mornings which is when I would expect her to be stiff. She just steps out of her crate and stretches. The problem always seems to be at night when she's been curled up at my feet for a few hours watching tv! Think I'll play it safe though and mention it to the vet.
Thanks again

·
Registered
193 Posts
hmm I would get it checked also, I know Molly can go from fast asleep to sprinting in 0.00001seconds...so no problems with stiffness in her.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jibber! Thats the strange thing - during the day Lucy will go from 0-60 in a split second - especially if she hears the fridge door open!

·
Registered
364 Posts
hi julesmf

I think all of us with young Labs, especially if it is our first, are hyper anxious about joint problems occuring in our pups. I know I am forever looking for signs of trouble, if he looks a bit stiff or does a bunny hop I worry. Only when my boy is older and, hopefully, gets a low score in his hip test will I really begin to relax about it

Hopefully you too are just being overly anxious and that there is nothing untoward to worry about, but its good advice to get it checked out. Let us know what the vet says

Good luck
Nigel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts