Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on having Mouse spayed at the appropriate time after her first season as I'm not wanting to breed from her.

I'm mulling over whether to ask that her hips are xrayed at the same time, the reasons being:

a) I'm interested to know what they might be.
b) I'm want to do as much activity with her as possible throughout her life and therefore think it 'might' be helpful to know if she has sound hips or if I need to be a little cautious or not.
c) I want to know if the way I've raised her as a puppy has had any influence over her hips (I'm not even sure that this makes sense or how much the scores would tell me!)

Her parents are from good hip score.

Would it be a complete waste of money as I'm not planning on breeding from her?
Would it be enough just to have the vet xray her hips and give his opinion or would it only make sense to have them scored?
Would it make me paranoid if they were higher than her parents?!
How much does it cost?

Just mulling- but would be interested in any thoughts.

Thanks,
Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I know what folks will say becs and I'm going to leave this thread to an unbiased opinion because I've expressed mine on xraying dogs many times.

All I'd like to say is, if you decide to do it please do not do it under GA. Speak with me and I can direct you to the right place where there will be no risk to Mouse.

Di

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But it would be done under the same GA as her spay. I wouldn't have a GA just for her hips to be done.

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Oooh, questions, questions.

I am no expert, so would just be my thoughts - but IF you are considering having her scored - I can recommend a VERY good vet quite close to you (and I use for all my gang as do a number of established breeders in that area :D)

b) I'm want to do as much activity with her as possible throughout her life and therefore think it 'might' be helpful to know if she has sound hips or if I need to be a little cautious or not.
Based on my own experience and from talking to others, dogs with poorer hips quite often benefit from MORE exercise, because it helps to build muscle improving movement and fitness - so - would scoring benefit you in terms of what you might want to do with her - unlikely - although, it might help you make a decision on whether you think appropriate supplements might be a useful addition to her diet.

Don't forget - there are dogs out there with relatively low scores who display problems - while there are dogs out there with scores of 90 plus who, if it wasn't for the scores, the owners would be blissfully unaware - sadly, there are no hard and fast rules and often no correlation between score and physical symptoms.

Would it be enough just to have the vet xray her hips and give his opinion or would it only make sense to have them scored?
If you found a good enough vet, then yes (again, see my comment above)

Would it make me paranoid if they were higher than her parents?!
Only you can answer that - BUT - historical data shows us that quite often, dogs from two very low scoring parents generally produce offspring higher than themselves - (but not sufficiently to cause problems)

c) I want to know if the way I've raised her as a puppy has had any influence over her hips (I'm not even sure that this makes sense or how much the scores would tell me!)
Not a lot :( don't forget - you cannot cause HD unless the dog is predisposed to it - my most carefully raised dog has the highest score - my - I didn't know any better dog walked a few miles a day from 14 weeks, diving on and off decking and doing regular wall of deaths is bang on the average at the time of scoring - her daughter who spent most of her first 12 months walking on 2 legs and had an accident through trapping her leg and twisting it badly it is 3 points lower with super movement and physique 8O

Where this would be interesting is IF the whole litter were scored and the lifestyles and diet compared - but in isolation, it will tell you very little.

Would it be a complete waste of money as I'm not planning on breeding from her?
Depends on how much money you have to burn - also, if you do it after having her spayed, and she is low and turns out to be a fabulous working (or show) girl, would you regret having her spayed?

How much does it cost?
Not that much surprising - obviously more if you sent the plates off because you have to pay the BVA fees - but I save a LOT by doing the 4 hour round trip as opposed to using my own vet.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Diana said:
Speak with me and I can direct you to the right place where there will be no risk to Mouse.
DI - there is a vet almost on Bec's doorstep who will do just that and give you a good assessment of the hips in case she didn't want to submit the plates.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I had Coco scored, mainly because I wanted to know if an injury to her hock joint as a pup at 5 months had had any impact on the development of the hips. She came back 3/4. We did agility until my hips packed up! :D

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
Number one, if you are going to get her scored then use a good radiographer, not a local vet. Most are just not up to it. And Two, if you are going to get it done get it checked by an expert. Most vets are rubbish at hazarding a guess at a score and can easily be 10 to 20 marks out.

I'm want to do as much activity with her as possible throughout her life and therefore think it 'might' be helpful to know if she has sound hips or if I need to be a little cautious or not.
To me this is a very good reason for getting her scored. I'll come off the fence and say it, I'd do it.

Regards, John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts