Labradors Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
And yet all of Branta's results are on the KC database already, in fact her hip scores and elbow grade's appeared without any notice, one day they were just there.

I've just passed details on to a couple of people I know of who used the ANKC, one got fed up with awaiting BVA results, and the other to see if the results were any different from the BVA. In both instances the results from the ANKC were actually worse I think, so for all those who thought they were giving lower scores/grades they may well have shot themselves in the foot. If the UK KC do accept the scores/grades from the ANKC the potential of different results is really going to play havoc with the EBVs.

·
Administrator
21,792 Posts
Trouble with hip scoring is that it is so subjective. Only the Norberg angle is measured, all the other features are down to the eye of the panellist evaluating the ex-ray. I've looked at so many plates for people and can normally get within a point or so, but people's perception varies with how they are feeling. If the panellist has just had a row with his wife before leaving home then you are probably going to drop a mark on the score you receive! Vets are taught by vets just as judges learn from judges, and look at how Labradors have changed over the years! Would a plate scored in 1980 receive the same score 40 years on?? I would like to think they would, but in reality I doubt it. So what have we now, plates scored in England by people trained in England and plates scored in Australia scored by people trained in Australia. No they are never going to arrive at the same score! This is one reason why I dont like the median score. With the old "Mean" score all scores carried the same weight in the calculation, but with the "Median" then recent scores carry more weight. So if scoring has grown more lax, which I truly believe it has then the improvement in hips, widely touted, is smoke and mirrors.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts