Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..... I'm new to the field of looking for a puppy and only just started doing my research. I've been told that the testing of hip, elbow and eye is not being done or running late due to a covid backlog...... is this the case or am I being fobbed off?
Thanks 馃惥

Administrator
Yes, all three are being done. I for example am organising my next session in October and there are many more being organised by other people. Hips and elbows can be exrayed and submitted by any vet, ok, the BVA are a bit slower than usual evaluating the plated, but the waiting time is only about 6 weeks. DNA testing is completely unaffected. So really, there is no excuse. If a person is going to breed a litter, possibly around 6 pups and charge probably up to 拢2500 each, thats 拢15000, and for that I would expect them take a little trouble to do it right. Please dont be fooled They could, and should have been health tested.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. It just goes to show how easily people (I) can be taken in. Like you say these puppies are costing so much so no excuse for not getting the proper health checks.

Premium Member
There are no health tests that aren't being done, but there are a lot of bad breeders using it as an excuse I'm afraid. I had my bitch in for a BVA eye cert in October last year, and I've had to wait three months now lockdown has been lifted but she goes for hips and elbows next week. And even if you cannot get your bitch to be tested you have to query why you should still then be breeding and not waiting for health testing appointments.

Administrator
As to the eye testing sessions I co-organise, we test twice a year and since the start of covid we have only missed one session.

Premium Member
This is so hard not to let my heart rule my head!
There are two sides to look at really when looking at buying a puppy, there's how it affects you and your family, and how it affects the breeder.

With the best will in the world, despite all the health tests a breeder can use, sometimes things don't work out how they want them to and there are things we cannot test for that might crop up. That said, no good breeder would just completely gamble the health of potential pups, and will always breed stacking the odds in favour of good hips/elbows, eyes and to be clear for the five main genetic conditions. Those who don't bother health testing, or test and don't bother researching how the pairing might match up, ie look at hips/elbows behind the parents, what sort of progeny are those lines producing, are simply gambling the outcome to a greater or lesser degree. Don't get me wrong, any breeding is gambling to some degree, just that a good breeder will stack the odds in favour as far as they can, to produce healthy, good examples of the breed that will make fantastic companions and possibly even the potential to dabble in a bit of showing, working or whatever the owners enjoy doing with their dogs.

But the other side is that every single time a breeder who cuts corners sells yet another litter, they are prompted to do it again, and again, and again, because there are members of the public looking for pups that just don't care enough to research and buy a puppy from a breeder who genuinely cares and does their best. You would imagine puppy farming should be an outlawed, banned practice in the current day, unfortunately, the only reason they exist is that the pups get sold at the end of the line, so there are still plenty of puppy buyers out there who don't care enough to really know they are getting a puppy from a breeder who genuinely cares. And while that carries on, puppy farms will continue, back yard breeders will continue and the system remains full of pups/dogs, many of which sadly go on to be passed from pillar to post when new owners can't cope (ie weren't a suitable home for a puppy in the first place) and then the dog gets a variety of homes and most likely problems.

It is hard I know to keep looking at potential litters and then see a problem that doesn't quite add up, and puts you off what others might view as a good litter, perhaps both parents have had hips and elbows, but the eye test has lapsed for one and not all the genetic tests are quite there. There are far too many na茂ve and trusting puppy buyers out there, and despite all the information out on the internet, it gets ignored, or not even researched to begin with.

One of the best feelings is having a really well bred puppy with everything in place that should be there, that puts your mind at ease that the breeder has done all they can, so I can tell you that despite being frustrating, it really is worth the wait. Do you know what sort of pup you're after, show, working? Colour?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking for a black working bitch. She will be a family pet for our retirement. Lots of walks and campervan holidays.

Administrator
Drakeshead is the Affix of John and Sandra Halstead, breeders of working Labradors. In fact it is not a type of Labrador. They buy a large part of their breeding stock in from other kennels. If you see a name, with the affix on the back, such as Aughacasla Sam of Drakeshead then that means the dog was brought in. Sam in fact was imported from Ireland. (He was great grandsire of my Amy.)

campervan holidays.
Believe me, your pup will love that! I used to tow a caravan and my dogs loved it! When I was loading the caravan up ready for going away on holiday I had a job to get the dogs out of it. They were not going to miss their holiday! Below was Mandy on holiday in Scotland. She was only around 16 weeks old at that time.

Premium Member
I'm looking for a black working bitch. She will be a family pet for our retirement. Lots of walks and campervan holidays.
I'll ask about at gundog training and when I'm helping out at a working test later this month for you, and see if anyone's got any litters planned, or anyone's stud dog has been used.

Premium Member
I've messaged one of the club secretaries to ask if they know of any working bred litters coming up for you, I'll see what she says and get back to you if she has any leads (excuse the pun)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts