Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really worried about hip dysplasia but don't know if I'm being paranoid.

Bailey walks like a duck, waddles, but always has since we had him at 10 1/2 weeks.

We don't over excercise him and have done everything that the breeders instructed us to, eg, he's never been allowed upstairs.

I don't know if his waddle is more noticable because he's got bigger or because it's a problem? He loves excercise and never shys away from it. I've looked up signs of hip dysplasia and Bailey does 2 of them, waddles and bunny hop.

He only bunny hops when he runs very fast, eg to get to another dog. Also he doesn't waddle when he trots.

Do you think this sounds anything to worry about? We've never had a dog and aren't sure whether labs generally walk like this?

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
I wouldn't worry unless he limps or is stiff. Loads of labs waddle when they walk.

Both mine waddle when they walk. One had HD and one doesn't.

I think because you know about HD, probably from seeing posts on here, you're looking for something that isn't there.

Just relax and enjoy Bailey and forget about HD unless he limps, is stiff and in pain

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Georgie waddled and swaggered unbelievably and had hip scores of 3/5

The only symptom I would be a wee bit concerned with is the 'Bunny Hop'...

I hope that all your concerns are un- founded. Nine times out of ten, they are. Try not to worry and carry on doing as you are. x

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Well, Poppy has always had a very noticeable bum waddle, Maisie doesn't. Poppy's hip score was 6-3, Maisie's was 6-22. I think it's more to do with the length of their body, Martha (Poppy's daughter) also has quite a waddle.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I worry all the time about HD and ED!!! it drives my OH up the wall!!

But our friends lab had it and i just saw the pain that that they went though and its always got me worried!!

But my friend, OH and vets say there is nothing wrong with him!! Even though he flicks his left back leg out to the side when he runs!! I made the vet watch him when he ran!!! :oops: :oops: I think he thought i was a right wally! :oops: But i just need to be sure in my mind!! Also Vet said he could do the test when Winnie has his manhood taken away to put my mind at rest but said there really wasnt any need!!

Im glad im not the only one worried but i just couldnt bare Winnie being in pain!! I just want to wrap him in cotton wool!! :lol:

Winnie looks at me like - Silly mummy!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh, I'm praying you're all right and it's nothing to worry about. I am a born worrier though and Bailey means the world to me.

I just worry that I'm missing something and that he's hiding pain or something. But then he did waddle since we had him so he wouldn't have had problems that early.

The bunny hop thing is only something he does when he runs fast. But he'll do it from the off. If he's trotting nicely and playing, he runs normally. I watched him today, he was racing to get the ball in the garden before th OH, he did bunny hop but one leg was ever so slightly infront of the other.

When he's finished playing though and he rests, he stretches out as long as he can, which I read he wouldn't do if in pain?

I think the more you read, the more you can make it fit your dog. He never seems stiff, just not so bouncy when he first wakes up but I think that's because he's half asleep.

I read that HD makes the dogs use their front legs to stand up. I watched Bailey and he does this but I don't see how else they can stand up. Only camels stand up with their back legs first don't they?

I hope for once that I am being paranoid. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
127 Posts
BaileyLove said:
I think the more you read, the more you can make it fit your dog.
Never a truer word spoken! I'm a first time lab. owner and I never even considered there might be something up with little Molly... until I started reading online material! Now I'm mega paranoid and convincing myself of all sorts.

The hip dysplasia is a worry though. I find myself obsessing about her different gaits now and because I haven't had a lab. before, I'm not too sure what's normal!!!

She has BOUNDLESS energy though and never shies away from jumping, playing, running or standing on her hind legs, so I can't see any signs of pain. And her back leg muscles look strong and healthy (something the vet mentioned might not be the case with hip dysplasia). But I have noticed she bunny hops when going up the stairs indoors. I always thought it was a logical and efficient way for her to go up! :) And she flies up it taking threes steps at a time sometimes. But now I'm all paranoid. Is bunny hopping always a sign of something or can it just be something they do???

I'm trying to chill out but when you're so attached, it's easy fret at the slightest hint of trouble. I don't know how I'll cope if I ever have children!!! :D

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Same advice as Wendy from me :wink:

As others have said stop reading and enjoy your dog , you would know if there was something wrong believe me :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sign me up :(

I've been paranoid from day 1 and he's not 5 months yet

Does have a slight kick to the left when running at full speed and has always had a wiggle or shall I call it a swagger ??

Always try and stick to the 5 min exercise rule, avoid boisterous playing with other dogs except the 'unavoiidable' situations where another dog appears out of the blue, jumping down too far, stairs etc

Lift him in and out of the car although he did jump out once unexpectedly - heart attack!!

Both parents were 5/5 for hips and his pedigree line is better further back

But I am a worrier about this and training especially!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts