Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet has suggested a cancer starving diet to aid the growth of my boys tumor. She has suggested Hill's Prescription H/D which amounts to £100 a month to feed him.
I have been researching on the net, and it looks like you can make your own "cancer starving diet" by increasing protein and fats and reducing carbs. The only trouble is - Harvey has allergy problems to certain meats and has always had wafcol salmon and potato, so I thought at least if I do the home cooking method, I know what is going into the food.
I though I would try - 2 tins of salmon, 2 boiled eggs and some dark leafy veg along with omega 3 fish oil and bone meal.
Of course I have consulted my vet - I am waiting on her response. But I'm not sure if they are biased when it comes to Hill's.

............any thoughts????

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Do you have pet insurance? they would surely contribute.

I dont know what to suggest, not qualified, just hope whatever you do things work out for the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No - I don't have insurance, therefore I would rather do the "home cooked diet" and put the £100 a month towards all the other costs we are now facing.

Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi

When my Ollie had cancer he was prescribed this Hill's Prescription H/D food in cans. It was exactly a year ago he went onto it and if my memory serves me right it cost about £12 for a tray of 12 cans. He had one tin a day so the cost of the food was about £30 a month. I can't believe the price of this special diet has increased that much in just one year. I would question your vets charges for this food if I was you.

What part of the country are you based? My vet is based in East Riding.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
They all seem to suggest this Hills don't they? I always got the Hills when they had a tummy upset and they hated it - this one was just the high protein rice and chicken. After reading the horrific posts on here and noting hills as one of the offenders the last time I made my own just chicken and just rice - Winston actually loved my version ( I'm not the best cook) and at a fraction of the cost - I'll not be buying hills again! I'm not saying this HD is not up to it but I personally would be inclined to make my own

·
Registered
669 Posts
I question any food the vet prescribes as it always seems to be the most expensive brand!

Mine needed to lose weight and the 'prescribed food' was going to cost about £150 each dog a month!! I contacted the lady from this company and she pointed me in the right direction of a food that costs £28 a bag a month! They are leaner and shinier as a result. Obviously the diet your dog needs is a different story but worth emailing her and asking her.

http://www.csjk9.com/index.html

Regards
Amanda

1 - 6 of 6 Posts