Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
harvey is 16 weeks old and he had his first hide bone are they siutable at his age as he got a bit stuck in the roof of his mouth which he let me get out?
it kept him quiet for ages but i watched him like a hawk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Most everything I've heard and read says that raw hide isn't the best for labs. They can get a piece stuck like you mentioned and many tend to just swallow a big chunk of it if they can, rather than chew it. Edie did that once when she was a pup (and brought it back up - thankfully!) so we just don't give them to our girls. It's very difficult for them to digest a large piece so it can cause stomach acid build up which can make them vomit, or worse, it can cause a blockage in the intestines. There are probably folks that give raw hide with no trouble, I just wanted to mention that as something to consider.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We started off giving Molly raw hide bones, but afer reading about some of the problems. and also having a few instances where she got a bit stuck in her mouth, decided that we would not give them to her.

We now use Nylabones, and the only thing we have to watch for is when they are getting towards the end of the bone, and need to be taken off her.

So far, she's not interested in the furniture / skirtings...but there's time yet!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi

We gave maddie a hide chew recently, When we last visted the vet we asked her advice, It was a big NO NO! apparently you need to make sure that the motions remain firm! although with maddie it had no affect on the buisness end!

Purina do some good heathy long lasting treats, that contain no hide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts