Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to the forum and also a new puppy owner to a beautiful yellow lab dog named Benson....he has settled in very well and seems to be very happy. The advice on here has helped so much and everything i have read seems to be falling into place...i'm just wondering if it is beginners luck or famous last words!! I have one query....what are the views and facts of bathing/shampooing a puppy? Many Thanks

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Oh, Benson is GOOOOOOOOORGEOUS!!!
Welcome to LF, glad you have had an easy time so far :)

As regards bathing, I don't. Unless they've rolled in fox poo and are discustingly stinky, all mine ever get in the way of baths is swimming - a dogs coat is not designed to be bathed regularly, and bathing strips the coat of the natural oils which keep the coat waterproof and warm.

Ozzie is 3, and has had maybe 6 baths in his life, and Vegas is 14 months, and has never had a bath. My foster boy Rupert has had about 10 baths in the 5-6 weeks he's been with me, as he had health problems which meant he needed regular bathing to keep him clean.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
ok.... I have a slightly different view from Ness.

Not that what she is saying is wrong! Just another side! If you expose the puppy now to things like baths then it won't be something it comes to fear as an adult, so for the next couple weeks every couple days say give the pup a bath.

You don't need to shampoo, just get the pup used to the idea of getting wet, getting handled, looking between paw pads etc.

In general I rarely shampoo my boys, just hose them down in the garden.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Welcome to LF, what a cutie Benson is.

Bears had one bath, when he was a pup. If he gets really dirty I just hose him down in the garden.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts