Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am new here and hope someone can help me - I have a 10yo lab bitch called Blossom who, amongst other health issues, needs to lose some weight She currently weighs 37.5kgs and ideally should be around 32-33kgs :( She has an arthritic shoulder, is epileptic and has a thyroid problem. I feed BARF - she has 150g mince and 1 cup burns mixer twice a day plus keepers mix/joint aid. I also vary the diet to include chicken wings/heart/tripe chunks/eggs/low fat cottage cheese and goats milk each week. She currently has 2 x 15 minute walks a day which she isn;t overly enthusiastic about although she is generally a happy waggy old girl! My vet says she is fine in herself and just needs to lose weight, and that I need to cut her food down more. I can't realistically give her any less - she eats less than my whippet already!!!Anyway I am struggling to get any weight off her. Oh - and the only titbit she gets is a shapes biscuit at bedtime! If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.......

·
Registered
188 Posts
Why not swap half of her meat for veg? When mine (Barfers also) need to lose weight they have frozen veg instead of their meat every other day.

I would also drop the mixer - on a balanced BARF diet there is no requirement for mixer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Muddiwarx said:
Why not swap half of her meat for veg? When mine (Barfers also) need to lose weight they have frozen veg instead of their meat every other day.

I would also drop the mixer - on a balanced BARF diet there is no requirement for mixer.
Thanks for answering -good advice re: the veg - I am concerned about the balance of her diet tho - would she be getting enough out of it if I cut the mince by half? Also I can't feed as many bones as I would like (prob only 2-3 times a week) so I feed the mixer to give her something hard to crunch and to bulk out her meals.

I'm desperate to help her as her brain is still very active but her body isn't keeping up!!

G

·
I don't do BARF but here's my thoughts.

Mince....Could you get low fat mince rather than normal, as this would take out a lot of calories. Tripe and Offal is very high in fat also, so I would keep this to a minimum each week and supplement it with a low fat alternative, such as Vegs or lean meat. Chicken wings are mostly skin and chicken skin is full of fat, so I would swap these for perhaps a drumstick and take the skin off, or a carcass. Eggs and Goats Milk have a fair amount of fat in and as we know, Fat=Lots of Kcals. I'd cut the mixer down by half too, as I doubt she needs that much roughage added, especially if you up the vegs.

Last thoughts.....Is there anywhere you can take her swimming, as a 10-15 mins swimming twice a week will go easy on her joints but will help burn off lots of calories?

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Have you got a problem getting hold of the bones? Because I would have thought the minced beef will be quite a lot more calorifically than chicken wings, for example, if you fed the same weight.

I feed mine heart and tripe to help put a bit of weight on, so that would be another one to cut back on for the time being.

Mine get no mixers at all either, just the meat and veg, I blend my own veggies as well, so can vary what they get in that giving them a wide range of vitamins and minerals over time.

My last rescue, Chloe, used to have a tiny amount compared to Indie and Tau, but she just didn't use up the calories to warrant giving her any more. They only put weight on when they're getting more fuel than they can possibly use, if she's not able to run around to burn it off, then cutting back is really the only option. Chloe was also over weight when she came to me, she had overgrown claws from lack of exercise, and was (reputably) a fussy eater. I tried her with a few commercial foods, but she turned her nose up at them, and then took to BARF really well, so I just cut her portions back and she lost the extra padding at a nice gradual rate.

The only thing you'll find difficult is that pleading look in her eyes, don't let it get to you!! You've got to be a mean Mum to help her lose that weight :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone - she mainly gets chicken mince as I think it is the leanest - heart or tripe once a week, and chicken wings 2 or 3 times a week. She never begs, and never gets any titbits other than her bedtime biscuit. She gets a couple of tablespoons of low fat cottage cheese twice a week and a splash (literally) of goats milk when the whippets have theirs. She has mixed veg 2 or 3 times a week too.
I am going to get some anti-inflammatories for her tomorrow as her arthritis is really bugging her ATM and she's not that keen to exercise - not even come out onto the yard with me :cry: Hopefully when she's feeling more comfortable, she'll perk up over her walks again. This is Blossie back in the snow!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts