Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Elaine and i am mum to 13 month old Zack. He is a big bundle of black furry fun (if that's the right word to use!!!!) who is currently recovering from major abdominal surgery to remove a blockage in his intestines - if anyone has any suggestions for stopping him eating stones I'd be very grateful to hear them!! I think this is a great site, with lots of sensible information specific to labradors and only wish i'd found it sooner.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi Elaine, Welcome to the forums! Hope Zack gets better soon. This is certainly a great site and I, too, have found lots of interesting and helpful information. Although because i work from home on the internet, I usually find myself on here instead of working :lol:

I've caught our pup Corbie (11 weeks old) with stones in his mouth, but he'll spit them out - I keep an eye on him when he's rumaging about in the garden just in case, the little rascal.

I see you're not too far away in Biggar, I live near Kinross. Hope the sun is shining down your way this morning too - it's a lovely day and it's also the day of Corbie's first walkies which we shall be going out on later ... wish me luck :lol:

Wishing Zack a speedy recovery :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi Elaine

Welcome! I too am new and I am definitely find this a very useful and addictive site!

I dont have many suggestions for Zacks problem, I just remember watching mine like a hawk when they were small - had the same problem with them eating snails as well as stones and it seemed to be something they grew out of.

Apart from putting bitter spray :? on all your stones in the garden I have no other idea. Sorry!

Hope Zack gets better soon!
Amanda

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zacks mum saying thank you

Thank you for the warm welcome to this site. It's nice to find such friendly people.

I've just got back from the vets with Zack - he was getting his stitches out. The vet couldn't believe the change in him. From being very placid and depressed when we got him home last week to bounding about the surgery and refusing to sit still today. He nearly got more than just his stitches cut..... He seems to be well on the road to recovery!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oh dear poor Zack, although reading your last post, glad he’s on the mend. As you’ve found out, not all things that get eaten come back out and can cause problems., sometimes sitting in the stomach for months. One thing is to teach the leave command - it can be so useful., although he will probably grow out of it. Until then, given that I’m sure you don’t want a repeat performance, I would be inclined to muzzle him when he is out. If you use a basketville muzzle he will still be able to pant and drink. This probably sounds awful, and many people associate muzzles with aggressive dogs, but I can assure you of the dogs I know that wear muzzles, more are doing so because they are inveterate scavengers than any other reason.
HTH :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sorry – short on time, so forgot to mention.
If you find him with something in his mouth that you want him to give up and try to take it of him, chances are he will swallow it or at least thinks it’s a game and not want to give it to you. Instead, try and teach him to retrieve and bring things back to you (he is a lab after all :D ). That way, when he’s got something you don’t want him to have he will give it to you. It’s much better and easier than trying to take things off him.
My lab knows just how to get my attention – grab my mobile phone, look at me and run away :shock: :roll: :lol: . If I went after him he’d run away and I suspect there’d be a few teeth marks on it before it was recovered – great game. Instead, I tell him what a clever boy he is, to ‘come’ and ‘give’ it to me – result – a great retrieve to hand, one phone intact and one lab pleased with himself.
:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, Lablover, for your very helpful replies. I think I'll give the muzzle a go in the short term while concentrating on training to retreive. At the moment if he has something he shouldn't he just runs away and hides with it - even when we are playing fetch he has more fun chasing after the ball then running away with it - he only brings it back if we turn our back or go back in the house which is a 'play is finished' signal.

But in the short term i definitely think the muzzle is the way forward. I don't think I could go through the heartache again and I certainly do not want him to get that ill again. It was awful. Now to persuade hubby it won't damage Zack's reputation if he is muzzled occassionally :roll:

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi elaine,
max just loves stones so i have managed to do what lablover advises. i keep a hand full of kibble with me at all times and each time max has something he shouldnt i tell him what a good boy he is and offer him a bit of kibble in exchange for his find. he now brings stones etc and dumps them in my lap. have had the odd worm and slug given me but its worth the yuk factor to know he will give and not eat. as hes only 6 months hes doing pretty good. hope zack gets the idea soon.
good luck.
jane and max.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Elaine,

Welcome to the site.

I'm glad you have found it helpful, i hope all works out for Zack, and he has a speedy recovery from his surgery.

Eating stones, yes very familiar with this, our puppy Bradley went through a phase of doing this when he was younger. Thankfully he has grown out of it. As Lablover has recommended, i too would definately get a muzzle. It's definately better to be safe than sorry for sure.

Have fun on the site, sending Zack a little woof,

Regards

Julie
Aka Bradleysmum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts