Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just registered this morning. I'm going to try and attach a photo of Penny, who'll be two on Saturday. Still working hard on training and obedience (she'll only do what you want, when she wants) but getting there slowly. We go to training once a week and agility once a month. She loves agility classes and she's quite good which is great considering she's had hip dysplasia in both hips and an OCD in her right knee. All of which were operated on when she was nine months old. Surgeon's very pleased with her and all along she's the only one who didn't think there was anything wrong with her. Absolutely adores people and thinks all dogs she meets are her best friends. At the moment having quite a bit of trouble with recall. She's fairly good most of the time but when her attention is really caught by something/someone/some other dog she has an amazing ability to turn off her hearing and absolutely refuse to come back. Any suggestions on what to try gratefully received. Up to now we've tried clicker's, whistles', a homemade rattle which signifies 'nice sausage if you come now'. As I say works only sometimes. Look forward to hearing from you. Trina

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Trina :)

Welcome to the forums - hope you enjoy it!

My puppy, Harvey is 6 months, and not to good on recall, so sorry I'm not much help on that one :roll:

Penny sounds lovely and as sounds like she's doing well after operations.
I look forward to seeing a photo :D

Best wishes

Fay

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
trina

hello to penny :p

wow she certainly has been through it in her young life i have a couple of freinds on here and there dogs also have ocd so they will be pleased to hear penny is fine and made a full recovery

lol @ her recall im having the same probs with my 9mth old if she sees another dog no amount of shouting will bring her back until she has had her play and said her hellos then she will remeber oh i have to go with my mummy now..lol.

welcome to the labforums family fold..lol.. you will meet loads of new freindly ppl ready to give advice and tips and support for when ever you need it

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Welcome to the Forums!

Glad to hear Penny seems to be recovering well after her HD and OCD problems. Sounds like she enjoys herself!

Hope you enjoy being part of this site as much as Corbie, my 6 month old choc lab, and myself do :D

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi Trina

welcome to the forum,glad to hear Penny leads a very active live after her operations. Regarding the recall i still have that problem with my 11year old, i like to call it selective deafness, I'm sure Penny will improve just takes time and patience.

Margaret

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hi Trina, sorry to hear about Penny's ops - My Shadow had to have two hips ops due to a snapped ligament - one at 8 months and one at about 18 months. As has been said - recall in Labs does seem to sometimes occur with selective hearing - Shad can be a real ****** when he's got his nose in a smell - perhaps i should have tried harder at Puppy Training!
Hope you enjoy the forums - its a great place!

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hello Trina

Welcome to lurkers paradise, hope you enjoy yourself
Sorry to hear about Pennys ops, Hope she recovers fully soon.. :)

Bye for now lol

Colette

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Trina

Welcome to the forums.

Can't help you on the recall I have the same problem,Buster is good at training in the garden but as soon as I go outside and hit reality it all goes out of the window. Just started a new training club so I hope he will improve.

Kev

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Trina,

Welcome to the forum.. :D

I too have a 9 month old dog who is recovering from an opperation on his right elbow because of OCD.

Goodluck with the training and I look forward to hearing more about Pennie.. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts