Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - just signed up this morning :p Have been lurking in the background for a while and there does seem to be a lot of helpful friendly people giving good advice! My husband and I are first time dog owners. We have a black lab girl, Lucy, who is now 8 months old. Apart from having three children (who are wonderful) she is now our precious baby girl :)

Hoping you guys might give me some advice - Lucy has just started her first season this morning 8O and I wondered if anyone can tell me what to expect and how to handle it with regards to going out for walks etc and how long it should last etc. I would be very grateful for any information.

Thanks
Julie

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Julie,

Welcome to the forums :D

Glad you enjoy it!

Sorry I can't help with the season, my Lab is a little boy!! :)

Best wishes

Fay

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Julie,

Welcome to the forum,

I don't have a female so I can't help you there but I'm sure other members will. hope you find the forum very usefull and I look forward to hearing more about Lucy :wink:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Julie,

Welcome to the forums, glad you decided to join this happy crew :D

Ummmm as for the season others will be better to advise than me as Tilly has been spayed, but from memory of previous dogs, duration is roughly 3 weeks and as for walks, phew dunno, I used to take to field where guarenteed to be dog free ! Also a big stick ?

Also from memory mine were a tad off colour for first few days so just pottering around seemed enough.

The scent of a bitch in season is a powerful thing and I am interested to read what others advise........

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Julie

Welcome to the forum,glad you have stopped lurking lol

Sorry can't advise you any further than Rhoni has,as it's years since I had to deal with a bitch in season.

Kev

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol - thats funny that most of you that answered had boys! :lol: I have a feeling I'm being paranoid about it but you do hear such terrible stories and old wives tales about this sort of thing. My husband, David, is being very protective and said we should keep her to the garden for the duration :( . I think he's worried about his little girl being violated in the park!!! :oops:
I'm sure someone must have a girly out there somewhere.........

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Julie,

LOL ...Maybe your husbands worries are not unfounded...I certainly would not risk taking her out until you have heard from others here that can advise you..... the risk is high.

Also your fencing is high enough is it? Just because you may restrict her to garden does not mean some randy stray won't scale it to get to her !

Not wishing to add panic to your paranoia but tis better to be safe than sorry that's all.....I am sure advice will follow soon

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, how do you guys get the lovely photos of your labs in your posts?

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Julie,

The help section should help - I think there are posts in there :D

You need to put the photo as a signature

Fay :)

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
As to the house, I have a couple of old sheets I put over the living room carpet. It might not look pretty but it protects the carpet and when they get dirty they can be dumped in the washing machine and tumble dried in no time.

I do take my dogs for walks, but never from the house! I put them in the car and take them down the road a little then lead walk them from there. That way there is no trail back to the door. Believe me, if there is a male will find it!

I never walk off lead when in season and out of courtesy to other dog walkers I only ever walk around an industrial estate where there should be no dogs off lead, or on my shoot which is all private farm land where I am only likely to meet either my keeper's bitches or our landlord's Lab bitch.

A season lasts for around 21 days from the time the discharge starts but it CAN continue for another 5 days so don’t take chances. Most bitches will stand for a dog from around day 10 to day 18 but I have known a bitch stand on day 2 and another on day 24!!!!!! Not usual but be warned!

One last thing, however obedient your dog is, when in season DON'T TRUST HER! The one thought in a bitch's mind at that time is procreation!

Regards, John

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMG - thanks for your advice John. It seems I was right to be paranoid. Excellent advice regarding "leave no trail to your door". I hadn't thought of that one!
Basically, we have a month of being vigilant. I am so glad I asked. Better to be safe than sorry :oops: Wouldn't want any Labradoodles!!

Thanks to you all for your comments. :D
Julie

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi julie
welcome to the site. i also have a boy who is 9 months old. last month he started to really play up and get very stroppy. trying to walk him was a total no go. then i found out that there was a bitch on heat round the corner from me who's owner was walking her past my gate each day.
luckily i have a 6ft fence round my garden which he cant jump but it didnt stop him from trying as he had only one thing on his mind :oops:
the most docile of dogs will try to get to a bitch so guard your baby well

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
It's pure thoughtlessness Jane. It's so easy to bung her in the car and take her to the industrial estate and they would be safe! With what they are doing, if they are not very lucky sooner or later she will get caught.

In the words of the front page of mighty tome from the great Douglas Adams, "Don't Panic!" Sensible precautions will ensure you have not the slightest problems Julie.

Regards, John

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
john. a lot of years back we had a little mongrel bitch and we used an anti mate spray when we took her out. dont know if its still available. we just sprayed her back and also sprayed round the gate and never had any problem with unwanted "visitors"

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
Yes, Antimate sprays are still around. And Amplex tablets. Trouble is, certainly around here the dogs seem to know what it means!

As a little aside, very many years ago I used it. My Mother was getting ready to go out and had brought her hairspray down stairs to remind her that she was nearly out and to get some more. Decided to give her hair another spray, by mistake picked up the Antimate! I was never allowed to have any in the house after that! Do you know how long it takes for the smell to go? And oh yes, it does not wash out!

Regards, John

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will definitely be guarding my baby well. Even in the garden she will need to be on her lead I think. We have half an acre of land that is all natural boundaries. We have fenced off where we can get to but its not perfect. Getting her spayed is starting to sound very attractive!!! :roll:

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
sorry john but had a good laugh at that one :lol: i remember how strong it smelt.
i remember my ex husband using my hairspray instead of his deoderant! i m sure he thought id done it on purpose 8O

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Julie, welcome to the forum
I have to sympathise with Maxsmum on this one.
Just to add another perspective. As a dog owner, I really appreciate responsible bitch owners - but one of my pet hates is bitch owners who don't think of other dog owners. When I'm walking my dog, I don't know if there is a bitch in season (ok, I may get a few clues, like sloppy recall etc :roll:), round here I've lost count of the times I've come across an in eason bitch while walking my dog :x .
Obviously there is the concern of getting caught for a bitches owner (from one of those lusty males :twisted: :D ), but every dog owners worst nightmare is that the dog infront is an in season bitch and your dog natural instincts will take over - will he cross that road to get to her? will he be run over? will he cause and accident? etc

As John says, it really is common courtesy, and there are ways round it.

Look forward to hearing more about Lucy
reagards Jenny :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts