Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought i would say hi to everyone, just got a loveraable chocolate lab eleven weeks old, learning very quickly due to him being my first dog. If only i can get him to stop nipping my feet and hands than the world would be a happy place.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hi gilly and welcome to the forum :D
Congrats on the puppy and im sure you'll find this site helpful and informative............and probably a little addictive too.

Have fun with your pup - and i know what you're going through. Our pup is 14 weeks and you should see the state of my hands!!

Shelley

·
Registered
760 Posts
enjoy gilly the nipping cos our puppy now like to lick your feet, and now its summer!!! and socks are off hes getting worse.....enjoy your little bundle of fun they don't stay little forever...although they do stay cute...

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Gilly and welcome !

What is your new pup's name?

The nipping will stop, I had same prob and the way I dealt with it was I would ' yelp ' as soon as nipped, turn away and ignore for a few seconds. That would be what his litter mates would do to show him he was out of order. After those few seconds you must return to normal. But repeat, instantly, every time he does it. Worked for me :D

If you persevere, it should stop quite quickly.

As with all training timing is the key, so you need to react immediatly for it to sink into his gorgeous puppy brain ! :wink:

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Gilly,

Welcome to the forum - hope you enjoy it :D

Look forward to seeing some photos of little Leo

Best wishes

Fay

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi gilly...

welcome to the forum....did you say "stop nipping" nah that can never happen so soon... :wink: ...lolz most people here learnt to live with it for few months and some still are :wink:

Regards

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Stop nipping if you yelp,that will be the day!!wish it was that easy ,have put up with it for months and Dylans a big lad now,so he hurts,they will stop when they are good and ready,

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :D

Our Corbie who's 6 months starts to nip when he gets excited when playing and I have bruises all over my arms - not sure if the puppy needles or the adult ones are worse!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

I have an 11 week old yellow lab - Mario. Know exactly what you mean about the nipping! It does hurt too but its getting easier since following the advice on the forum. Even though Mario still nips, he's looking out of the corner of his eye as if to say 'am I going to get away with this'!

He's our new family member and also my new best friend :wink:

Have fun
Lucy and Mario x

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Gilly
Welcome and enjoy the Forum. Nipping will stop in good time

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Gilly, welcome to the forum. Im sure you will find the site very useful, I know I am!! Know exactly what you mean about the nipping, I have a 7 week old lab and am having exactly the same problem - doesn't it hurt!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers all for the repiles,the pups name is leo,took him for the his first walk today after he had his injection and i most say ha was better than expected, thought he was going to be a complete nightmare(i was wrong) he was just a nightmare :D .
Well post some picture as soon as i can and going to try the yelp technic put i think the girlfriend does that already :roll:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi there - welcome to Lab Forums and the wonderful world of Lab Ownership!

The nipping used to get me down quite a lot, but I followed the advice here, mainly made a loud noise when he did it and shut myself away from him for a little while so we could both calm down. He still does it sometimes when we play, but I can forgive him that as he just gets a bit over-excited I think.

Another tip I picked up was to hand feed him at times so he got used to treating hands with respect, and took gently from my hand. Would only recommend this if you are feeding him dry food though ;)

Leo is a lovely name - and it's my star sign too! Grrrrr!

Look forward to hearing all about Leo.

All the best,
Nic
X

1 - 16 of 16 Posts