Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’ve picked up Shadow on 18/12/19, hes 10 wks old, he’s been doing brilliant so far, no accidents and only wakes twice at night, I hope it lasts! Just wondering how did you all get on with crate training? He will sleep in it with the door open but if I shut the door he cries which turns to howls, I’ve been trying to shut the door for about 2 mins at a time and open it again when he’s quiet for a few seconds, hoping he gets the hang of it soon!

·
Administrator
20,649 Posts
The object is for the crate to become his den, not his prison. With that in mind I try to make it a good place to be. I feed my pups in there and give them treats in there.

When feeding I quietly push the door too, but don't latch it on, so pup can push it open and come out when finished eating. Because he can open the door the panic of being shut in soon disappears. I then latch the door on, but unlatch it again as soon as the pup tries to get out, again keeping the pup's confidence. With feeding 4 times a day at that age, and also with sleep periods I find my pups generally settle in a day.

John :)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hi and welcome to you and your gorgeous pup, from me and my two black Labs.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Hello & welcome

How's the little fella (stunner!) getting on?

The advice above is spot on as usual on here. We found both of ours ended up going to the crate when they wanted to chill after a while.
As with anything and these little loons.... repetition, patience, repetition, patience etc, etc

Good luck

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Wee darling :) I did quite a bit of crate training with my two when young and they both took to it really easily. They loved using their crates :)

Getting the used to it when young can be very beneficial if it’s ever needed later in life- injuries etc :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts