Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everybody. I'm new to this forum and would like to say a big hello to all here.

I am the owner of 2 labs (now) 1 large black one that should have a saddle and one yellow one that is small. Both are bred from excellent working stock and both work on Phesants and Deer

Ill post some pics of them soon

Take care

Hugh

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Welcome to the site Hugh, :D

What are your labs called?

I would be really interested to hear about work they do - i look forward to seeing their photos. :)

Have fun on the site,

Bye for now

Julie
Aka Bradleysmum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 labs now

One is a very big black male called Max and the other is a small yellow female called Willow.

Pictures of all my dogs (past and now) can be seen on Webshots.com under my user name of wonderwho1. Give them a look and pop a note in my guestbook

They are true working dogs. They pick up on at least 24 shoots every phesant season and also go deer stalking as well.

Hugh

G

·
Hugh

Have taken a look at your photos and they are excellent and your dogs are stunning they really look like they are enjoying themselves in the photographs.
I've often wondered if a gundog is a typical labrador and they have collected their game how do you get it back of them without them eating it first! There must be a lot of training goes into this sport.
I lve in Yorkshire and often see shoots from the road but only get a quick glimpse of the work the dogs do as I drive by. I don't know about anyone else but I would love to see the dogs at work for real but I don't know anyone who uses their labs for shooting.
Have you thought about bringing your labs to the labradorforum get together and giving us all a demonstration of what they can do?

Michaela

Michaela

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi thehound

There is no training in teaching labs not to eat game before they bring it back to me. (I have never known working dogs to eat it). I know if they had it in the back garden on its own as opposed to bringing it back to me they would eat it but as its a working event where they have to find and retrieve the game they don't do that.

The training goes into teaching the dogs to sit and wait and to stop on command from a distance so as they can take directions. Thats the hard part and when its all working then you go to the shoot and the excitement usually has it all go out the window. So in reality the training is undertaken at the shoot as well as befrore and after it.

Unfortunately as I live in Ireland I wil not be bringing my labs to the gettogethers unless they are going to be here. Sorry

Hugh :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.