Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i have a 15 weeks old choc lab puppy called button.....we have had her since she was 8 weeks and since then i have found about jjust about all i need to know on here :) i have today finally registered!!!! thanks for all the great tips on here, it ha sbeen so useful!

what i am wondering is .... about food... she is currently having 3 meals a day...she is on royal canin, we carried this on from the breeder, she has about 175-200g a day. would you say this is right???? i am wondering about other makes of food which would be a bit cheaper also, as royal canin is quite expensive!! she is putting weight on really well, was tiny when we 1st got her....i remember at 9 weeks she was 2.7kg, vet never thought this was fine as she was active etc, i must get her weighed again as she seems to grow so much every day! kongs...i have been giving her these with frozen banana mixed with peanut butter - which i got the idea from here !! - they are her favourite.....any other ideas for stuffing kongs would be most welcome!!

also just another thing..when will she lose her very sharp teeth???? :p

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hi and welcome to you and Button, love her name, CJ nearly got called Buttins, wouldn`t have suited him though :lol:

With kibble type foods others are best advising as I feed raw to my pair, CJ doesn`t have Kongs as he ate one when he was a pup :lol:

As to Buttons teeth she should start losing those anytime now in fact may already have lost some without you realising it, the adult teeth may not be so sharp but they still hurt, have you been teaching her bite inhibition? :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi thanks for your welcomes :D

mary....basically if she does get a bit nippy....which isnt loads...seems to be more when playing with my 2 sons..they kiind of encourage it! whereas i never had and she doesnt with me....when she does get a little nippy we tell her "no, gentle" and then give her one of her toys to show her that is what she should be chewing!!! anything else you would do???

she is very good really....has been house trained completely for about 3-4 weeks now...she just goes to the door and cocks her head and looks at us as if to say ...come on then!!! she is crated at night and has taken to that brilliantly sleeps all night long with no noise which is fab!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi all.... just wanted to get some advice about what make food is best to go for>??? as said i am using royal canin at the moment...button is now nearly 4 months....i am looking to change for something a little bit cheaper, as royal canin is pretty expensive!!! anyone use first class???? or recommend anything for me , that would be really helpful ...thanks trudy :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
Hi & welcome to LF

As far as food is concerned feed what you feel comfortable with there are plenty of good quality foods out there and you might feed a couple before finding one that suits.

I feed Autarky and buy a 15kg bag from costco for £11 it's natural and holistic.

Others feed James Wellbeloved, Burns, Skinners, try and steer clear of Bakers and Pedigree as they tend to be full of colourings and fillers.

If you do change make sure you do it slowly over a week or two. Feed your normal stuff and take out a small amount replacing it with the new....gradually reduce the old and increase the new till you are on all the new. Good Luck :D

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
:wave: Hello and Welcome to LF

Did I read your girls weight correctly? - 2kg at 9 weeks? :?

My girl is on Royal Canin - it is a quality food if a little expensive. She currently gets approx 300g a day split over 3 meals (she is 11 weeks old). My boys are fed on Arden Grange and Millie will move to this too when she moves onto adult food. In terms of switching foods, I would, as Sheena has descibed switch over gradually so as to cause as little tummy upset as possible. In relation to which food - how much do you want to pay for a 15kg bag?, how much do you think is reasonable? When you have this in mind you can then find the best food for that price.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
mistymoore said:
mary....basically if she does get a bit nippy....which isnt loads...seems to be more when playing with my 2 sons..they kiind of encourage it!
You must tell your son`s not to encourage Button to nip even in play, she doesn`t know the difference between what she sees as a nip and they may see as a bite, what your doing yourself is right, get them to do the same :) , everyone in the family must treat her in the same way, this applies to commands and all training.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Hi and welcome to LF

I nearly called my Sophie Button, it was F1 season and I was getting a bit carried away in my support of Honda!!!

You'll get tons of good advice on here.

Look forward to seeing pics of Button too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts