Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, my name is Sean and I have just got my new puppy Alfie today! He is only 7 weeks old, but is really loving and playful, and get loads of attention! I haven't got a picture yet, as it wouldn't upload but im gna try and get one soon :). I just want to know a few things: How much exercise should he have each day? Like today he has been playing out in the garden, 2 times, for about an hour... this is probably too much i'd imagine? Also, when i try and take him outside to do his business he never seems to go even after eating and drinking. What signs should i look out for and how can i encourage him to go? Thanks very much :)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
ON lead exercise..most follow the 5 min rule..5 mins for every month old they are. Pups tend to run around and then flake outcoz they are tired, i just disn;t encourage my pup after 15 mins, if he continued then he was doing on it on his own.

With the toileting just keeping taking him out every 15 mins or wehn you see him sniffing or circling on the floor.

LOve his name..i have an Alfie too he;s 18 weeks old on monday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the response! I noticed earlier you dog was called Alfie as well and he looks gorgeous! Alfie is a great name I agree, and I want to bring my dog up well cos he is just amazing :p. He has been sleeping a lot today, as it is his first day home, and a bit traumatic obviously. He hasn't cried much at all though, only time he seemed very upset was on the car journey home. I was just worried about him getting too much exercise because me and my brothers always want to play with him, but too much exercise might damage his joints right? Sorry about all the questions lol im quite nervous at the moment, as Alfie is our first dog! When your dog was 7-8 weeks, how long was play time altogether? Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Playtime was short and sweet i alway left him wanting more. I would sit on the floor with him petting him, grooming him and throwing in a wee 10 mins training too. It really does tire them out, they get very bitey when tired so i would put my pup in his crate and within mins he would be snoring his head off.
And its always best to let pups sleep...they need loads right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh right ok, well I will limit his playtime more from now on, he does tire very quickly and im going to start training him tommorow with the lead and trying to get him to come back to us ^^. Thanks very much for your help!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Hello, welcome aboard :wave:

I got my pup at 7.5 weeks, and she was like a tube of smarties on speed!!! She was constantly busy and I really struggled to contain the amount of exercise she had. She was about 6-7 months before she sat still or slept long enough for me to be able to sign up to LF! :lol:

Look forward to seeing some piccies of Alfie in due course :D

Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight :wink:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi there.

I have an 11wk old pup at the moment that we have had since 7wks. With regards to toileting, we made sure we took her out as soon as she woke up, after playing and after eating. In between all of this we took her out if she looked like she was sniffing the floor. We have the back door open most of the time as the garden is secure and she now just takes herself outside whenever she needs :D

Also when he does go you will need to praise him loads...my neighbours must think I have lost the plot :roll: Another thought...don't punish him if he goes in the house...just ignore him and clean it up. We also used to take her outside if she did.

Hope this helps

Heather

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
bear in mind playtime is at the pups own choice.... so really can be unlimited according to how much time you have. Them mooching around the house and garden playing sporadically is not the sort of exercise that falls under the '5 minute guide'. That exercise is for when, in a few weeks time, he has completed his vaccinations and you can start taking him for walks. Then, ideally, in ADDITION to him playing with you and by himself at home, ideally stick to around 5 mins per day for each month old he is... so at 3 months around 15 mins, at 4 months around 20 mins.... split opver as many mini walks as you fancy...

But that is in addition to traning at home and playing... the idea being during play puppy can pack it in any time he is tired and rest. Out on 'enforced' exercise, so walks and so on, he won't because his little adrenaline is racing through all the new sights and sounds, so therefore YOU have to be his limiter as he will not be a good judge of his OWN limits for a good few months ;-)

Di

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, I didnt expect to get all these replies! lol thanks guys. last night was wasnt too bad actually, Alfie did get quite hyper though, but by about 11 he had got too tired, and conked off, then we didnt hear him till about 6 in the morning when he was hungry! im starting to get the hang of taking him outside when i see the signs, and i think he is understanding where to go! I havent been training him yet, as its quite wet outside and Alfie just wants to sleep most of the time. I'll try get a picture up, i need to make it a smaller file size somehow, but i only have one of him sleeping (still cute though lol). Cheers for all the advice, im so happy with Alfie!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome, i have a picture now as my avatar...but the quality is awful as i had to resize it a lot :/. Yeah, im sure you will hear a few stories about him as he grows up lol xP.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Alfie's soooooo cute! Make the most of the sleeps!!! lol.

You're so lucky he went through til 6am! Hope it carries on for you.

Make sure you take loads of piccies as he grows up - it's scary how quickly they do grow up! Jess is 18 weeks tomorrow and she really does look like a dinky grown-up labrador rather than a puppy now :( .

We follow the 5 minute rule for on lead walking...it is hard tho...we try to use it as a guide rather than a rule as she's off the lead for about half of her walk and mooches or tears around as she likes!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I promise you it IS a guide and not a RULE... its just slightly misnamed. The man who first coined it wanted to help owners be sensible, not make them feel guilty for going a few minutes either way of those '5 min guidelines'.......

;-)

Di

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
sounds like a fab first nite...long may it continue. And he's such a cutie in your pic.

I too have an 18 week old and he is just a shurnk own version of a lab, he;s lost all the puppiness... :(

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hi Sean and welcome to LF, I can`t add to the advice already given you except to say, does he have somewhere of his own to go when tired such as a bed or crate?, if so, tell yourselves that when he`s there, he`s not to be disturbed, this will allow him to rest/s;eep when he wants to, like a baby he will sleep a lot to begin with :)

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Hi Sean!!!

Welcome to Lf!! Alfie is lovely!!! Totally scrummy!!!

Eve Neo and Hopalong

1 - 20 of 20 Posts