Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was probably time to update you good people about Shadow the wonder dog.

Back in September 2018, I let you all know that Shadow had been diagnosed with a 25mm brain tumor. In May of 2017 he had surgery on his spine to free a nerve which was making him lame in his rear left leg.

Of course there were some lovely replies but he's still with us and is heading towards his 15th birthday this year.

After the initial diagnosis and a course of steroids (which helped ever so much). We took Shadow to Bristol and had an MRI to see exactly what was going on. On October 7th, I had pitched our home for the month with a caravan, in a Cambridgeshire field. The following day, I took him to the Vet school where he went through all sorts of tests and we were told that he would receive 10 treatments of radiotherapy, three per week, starting on Wednesday. We were then shown the place we had to go on Wednesday, were introduced to the amazing people who would be taking care of my buddy, explained all the possible risks and benefits etc...and given a time to come back.

On Wednesday 10th, we turned up at the time we were given, waited patiently until someone came out and made a fuss over Shadow then took him off for a general anaesthetic, I was asked to wait. So I paced up and down lots :) Eventually, I was called through, into the room where they bring the animals round from the anaesthetic! Not being used to see what looked like a very drunk best mate, I wasn't sure if laughing was the right thing to do but he soon came round and we got to go outside for a walk until he was with it enough to go back to the caravan.

We did this every Monday, Wednesday and Friday through October 2018 finishing on the 31st. On the inbetween days, we had some lovely walks and he even chose a new squeaky toy from the garden centre up the road.The wonderful people who run the little site we stayed at made both Shadow and our little springer, Splodge, new leather collars and we returned home on the 1st November.

Well that was over 2 years ago, Shaddow has done ever so well and even got a rosette for being a dog of extra time. He's quite slow these days and likes his bed as much as food and four or five short walks a day. He may be old but there's still a look in his eyes and a hop and a skip sometimes that tells us, he's not only still with us but still happy to be here.

Dog breed Carnivore Dog Road Road surface Dog breed Carnivore Dog Mammal Sporting Group

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you John. He's a great friend and in all honesty, if it wasn't for the level of insurance he had, I wouldn't have been able to write that today. I really need to say a huge thanks to the wonderful people of The Queens Veterinary School Hospital at Cambridge, it was they who really did all the work, oh, and Shadow the super dog of course.

Premium Member
Hi Steve, I remember Shadow from many years ago when I first joined with Indie and Tau. Sadly, I lost Indie last year, but still have Tau, along with her daughter, granddaughter, and I'm about to become a Great Grandma to pups due over in Germany from a dog of my breeding. It's great to see Shadow is doing so well, what a journey you have had xx

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Steve, I remember Shadow from many years ago when I first joined with Indie and Tau. Sadly, I lost Indie last year, but still have Tau, along with her daughter, granddaughter, and I'm about to become a Great Grandma to pups due over in Germany from a dog of my breeding. It's great to see Shadow is doing so well, what a journey you have had xx
:) I remember both those, sad to hear about Tau though. I'm amazed that my big old bear is still here though. Shadow has rellies on the mainland. Oh, we've been through it. He really has been such an amazing friend over all the years.

Premium Member
I too remember you and Shadow.How wonderful it all worked out so well for Shadow.Love hearing about these remarkable Labs.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly, tonight, almost three years on, we said our goodbyes to my bestie. He was such a dignified hero from day one. I've posted in the rainbow bridge section with more details. Almost three years in remission, I'm so proud of the old boy.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly, tonight, almost three years on, we said our goodbyes to my bestie. He was such a dignified hero from day one. I've posted in the rainbow bridge section with more details. Almost three years in remission, I'm so proud of the old boy.
I've replied on your other thread Steve.
I saw that, thank you John.

Premium Member
馃挃馃挃馃挃

Reactions: Steve_P
1 - 14 of 14 Posts