Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Wilson
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm new to the forums, so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong area.

Basically, I have a 14 month Labrador called Wilson, who seems to be scared of a set of 6 stone steps/stairs. Until recently, I have been carrying him up and down these, as this is the only access into my accommodation. He has no issues with stairs or steps in general. I have tried putting his favorite peanut butter on the steps to encourage him to use them -
Stairs White Wood Orange Rectangle

I have even tried chopped up hotdogs. Nothing gets him down the steps. He just stands at the top looking out tail wagging.
Short of pulling him them down them, which is something I don't, won't do, I am really lost as what to do.
Please can anyone help us. Thanks Mark and Wilson
Dog Carnivore Liver Working animal Dog breed

·
Administrator
21,783 Posts
Oh dear. I had a stair gate to stop my pups going upstairs. When Amy was a baby I decided to redecorate the hall and landing, so I had to take the stair gate down. I was at work one day when the phone rang. "Amy has gone upstairs and cant get down!" I had to turn off a machine valued at over a million pound, take a half hour drive home, carry Amy down the stairs, half an hour back to the firm and re-fire up the machine. I did not have the heart to tell the firm that it was all caused by a little Labrador puppy! Oh the joys of dog ownership.

·
Administrator
21,783 Posts
Getting back to your problem, I would take hold of his collar and walk him down beside me to give him confidence. It's what I've always done with mine when I finally allow them to use stairs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got my Labrador pup to use the stairs by putting his lead on him and walking him up and down them on the lead. It seemed to give him confidence - or maybe he thought if I fall she falls with me.

·
Registered
Labrador
15 Posts
First off, I’m glad you said it was peanut butter on the steps 😳

our 5 month old pups also find them tricky. One of the places we walk them has a small set of about 6 steps; they are perfect on the lead but at the steps they rush up them and don't like to stop. On the way back down, they stand with their heads down and tentatively take steps and will stop if unsure. We are basically letting them go at their own speed down but trying to get them to slow down on the way up.

I'm guessing the stairs look so high when at the top, so can be scary. As JW says, maybe walk them down slowly, but I would maybe sit on a step part way and then start again? We are going to try this with our boys 😊

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts