Labradors Forums banner

Henry's relations

6K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Leila2018 
#1 ·
After reading the 'Drakeshead' thread I thought I would look at Henry's relations and I found that Henry is related, 4 generations ago, to FT CH Greenbriar Viper of Drakeshead.

Other FT CH in his pedigree are -

3 generations:
Eastdale Harry
Waterford Ganton

4 generations:
Pointraire Cromwell
Claravale Tide of Garronpoint
Waterford Easter
Levenghyl Isle of Arran
Shadowbrae Mist of Levenghyl

5 generations is quite a list.

But I have to admit that, to me, he's Henry. :cool: :D

#2 ·
He's Henry to You ❤, but isn't it nice to know that his rellys have made their owners happy as well 😀
Hope JohnW reads this and tells you more about these dogs (the only thing I know about working pedigrees is that way back there could be Pocklea Remus!!)

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

Reactions: BushYakker
#4 ·
I think you’d have to go way way way back to find any relations to any of mine.

Reactions: BushYakker
#5 ·
:cheesygrin: :cheesygrin: I do like your pup.

I've never had a chunky monkey. Not through choice but all my previous Labs were of working strain. Though only Hollie actually went to work.

:D

Reactions: Maddie
#6 ·
Nice! Eastdale Harry was Alan Schofield’s dog. Born 9th March 2007, was a very good looking dog, well used, particularly amongst show people wanting to add some work to their line. Several people I know well have used him and produced good looking and working puppies!

Waterford Ganton was born 18th May 2008. Bred Jane Coley. Ganton was sired by Endacott Kite of Chisbrook, Kite was owned by a friend, Peter Scott and bred by another friend, Anne Courtier. (Anne’s Dusk was the sire of my Amy!)

Levenghyl Isle of Arran was bred and owned by Amy and Peter Bates on the 5th March 2004 (I did like that dog!)

Shadowbrae Mist of Levenghyl was born 28th April 2003. She was bred by the late George Ridley and again owned by Peter Bates. Again her sire was another dog bred by Anne Courtier, Endacott Stoer of Quabrook.

So, what do I deduce? Lovely working lines! Harry should give you a nice looking dog. Anne has always said that she was not trying to breed a rocket ship, what she wanted was good game finding dogs. Dogs you did not need to fight to get them to do what you want. Her breeding tends towards sensitive, does not want, or need heavy handling. My Amy was a classic example of her type of dog, And believe me, if Henry grows up like her you could not have a better dog!

John :)

#7 ·
So that's why its been easy. I thought it was me. :rolleyes: ;)

Henry won't be trialled or bred from but knowing some of his line's history is really good.
I might try him on some field work in a few months, only for the fun of it.

Thank you John. I've copied your post and put it in Henry's file.

:D

#8 ·
When I was taking the puppy class for the Bucks Area or the United Retriever Club, Whenever Peter Scott or Anne Courtier had a new puppy they used to be working them in my class. Working him is entirely up to you, but whether or no I think you will find him a very clever, and very biddable dog. You are going to have lots of fun with him! :)

#9 ·
It's sad, but after Anne's husband Mike died a couple of years back, she retired from breeding and trialing, so there will not be any more Endacott dogs. A couple of years earlier we lost George Ridley, so the Shadowbrae affix has also gone. Two of the greats, no longer around. There are few younger breeders and trailers around to take over the mantel. But one such is Laura Hills who is breeding some lovely dogs and has qualified for the IGL Retriever Championship for each of the last 3 years. Laura bred the sire of my Chloe.

#10 ·
I don't know much about working lines or breeding but the breeder, (Jez Brighton, Salrowbra Gundogs), who I got Henry from looks to be using good lines for his kennels. His dogs with the Salrowbra name have good pedigrees from what you have posted.

When I made my first visit I was impressed with his set-up. All his dogs were available to see and they were friendly, well behaved, well trained dogs.
The pups were well looked after and catered for - warm kennels with the radio and lights on during the day (off at night). The feed preparation room was fantastic.
I could see how the pups cost to buy was justified. Henry came with a discount due to his overshot jaw and I think I've got a bargain.

Thanks again for the info John, it's educating and much appreciated.

#14 ·
You’re not kidding! Today he decided to barge into my hubbies veg garden, the only party of the garden that’s not fenced on the outer boundary...it’s fenced off from the main garden though. Freddie decided it’d be a good idea to visit the neighbours, with hubby hot on his tail (I spent Sunday morning in A&E and am not even supposed to be on my feet never mind chasing an overgrown puppy). He eventually caught up with him and the neighbour came to say hello....and ask what breed he was (Freddie not hubby). Not many people seem to be familiar with a well bred Labrador and they seemed surprised.

#16 ·
Found out why he keeps trying to escape, next doors collie bitch is in season. I thought she’d been spayed.

Reactions: JohnW
#18 ·
I presume Blade would be Autumnwillow Blade Of Salrowbra? In which case the lines are very similar to BushYackker’s Henry. Again a lovely working pedigree with Anne Courtier’s Endacott lines on both sides.

Anne’s dogs were always very clever dogs without being pushy, and working Labradors have lost a lot now she is no longer breeding. But sadly times more on and the trialing world is looking more towards “Guided Missiles” these days rather than out and out game finders. But the game finders will always be the shooting man’s choice of dog, which just goes to show how Field Trials have moved away from shoots. The International Gundog League Retriever Championship in 1991 was won by Pocklea Remus, (owned and handled by Dave Garbutt,) and was, to me, the last days of real game finders winning.

#19 ·
Hi John yes it is Autumnwillow Blade he is a lovely dog , I fell in love with him when I met him . Jez said he was a great game finder with a great nose. I kept little Leila and one of her brothers is always retrieving things he really shouldn't as he was purchased by a lovely couple who have a active life . He went to the beach and retrieved himself a big fish , He went to the woods on two occasions and first time caught himself a pigeon and the second time a squirrel - he always was the mischievous one in the litter . Whenever there was mischief going on with the litter you could guarantee he was right in the middle of it lol . Blade brother Beacon and Briar are both appearing to do well in working tests and trials , am not sure but Beacon has possibly made FTW , Which is something I trying to find out Beacon took 1st place at all aged (AV) field trial on the 14/9/17 . There is some lovely Endacott dogs as you say on both sides of blade pedigree , a shame no longer going , there is only one pup out of the litter that is not quick the others are like missiles (the litter I bred from Blade) and he is huge and looks more show type , Leila is very petite and despite permanent tendon damage from an accident can't have move . I will try to get some photo's up . One of Blade son to my girl Maia is an assistance dog and has another assessment coming up to become fully qualified .

#20 ·
I used to instruct the puppy class in gundog work for the Bucks Area of the United Retriever Club, so saw many Endacott dogs. This was my Amy, sired by Tibilla Dusk of Endacott, out with me at 13 years old. (Sadly she died about 3 weeks ago, 2 months short of 15 years old.) She had slowed down, but was still enjoying herself.

#21 ·
I used to instruct the puppy class in gundog work for the Bucks Area of the United Retriever Club, so saw many Endacott dogs. This was my Amy, sired by Tibilla Dusk of Endacott, out with me at 13 years old. (Sadly she died about 3 weeks ago, 2 months short of 15 years old.) She had slowed down, but was still enjoying herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UaChLksodk
Aww am so sorry to hear about Amy John , I came off Facebook a short while ago and we were facebook friends , My heart goes out to you such a lovely girl your Amy was , how is Chloe coping without Amy hope she is coping OK . I dread the day Floyd goes as the girls will be upset as they are both close to him. Heartfelt condolence for your loss , very sad

Lisa

#22 ·
There's no doubt Chloe is missing her, she's rather quiet and very clingy. But it's early days yet. It was something which I've known for a long time was getting close. I was hoping she would make 15, but was watching her in the garden one day and started to think that I was not doing her any favours. Her time had come to an end. I still miss her. x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.