Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago i rescued a 7-month-old Lab off a woman who was clearly neglecting him i took him on knowing he, was badly trained full of fleas and not house trained everything else has been fixed, but he keeps urinating and pooping, every time i let him in a different room. He rarely messes in the kitchen which is his room, but i dont know how to stop him from going on the other floors in my home. I have tried small intervals in the front room and hoped it was working he's 9 months now and its just frustrating hes such a lovely dog his only other downfall is that he likes to chew at a wall in my bedroom any tips on that would also be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I use clove oil as a chew deterrent or you could try one of the sprays that they sell in Pets at Home.

Try going back to basics with house training as you would with a puppy. Supervised outside time frequently and lots of praise together with a cue word when he performs - maybe treats too. Watch him like a hawk inside and the moment he starts to do anything say "ah, ah" or similar and get him straight outside. If he has already done it then don't say anything and just clean it up with either biological washing powder in warm water or a special accident spray so that there is no scent left behind. Praising the good and ignoring the bad will eventually work if you are consistent.

If it doesn't work after a few more weeks you might need the help of a behaviourist.

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
The toileting is more than likely a behaviour that he has some up with from his previous life so I'd suggest the same as Pam in treating him like he is a young pup learning toilet training for the first time.

He will have big teeth settling into his jaw at his age so will enjoy chewing to ease any aches and discomfort. Make sure he's got some chews available and encourage him to use those - antler bones or nylabones could be worth investing in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts