Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I need some advice . I got my Labrador from a nearby farm . And he was a tiny thing and he was very dehydrated we took him straight to the vets we rehydrated him over the next few days . He also had diarrhea and bloody poo . Got him on antibiotics and took him off eukanuba and put him on chappie . This seem to sort things out but he never had great poo's and had a blocked anal gland . So switched to Arden Grange which has sorted things out and he is now a healthy if not BONKERS 1 year old Chocolate Lab . Problem is hes gone off Arden Grange . Ive tried Burns and he does not like it and what he does eat upsets his stomach chappie also gives him
diarrhea now . So I am giving him ardent grange but grating a bit of carrot or cheese to get him to eat it . Any suggestions for food for a sensitive chocolate lab ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mibec said:
rubydo said:
Any suggestions for food for a sensitive chocolate lab ?
stick to Arden Grange without any addisions, he won't starve himself - imho he's just trying his luck to get something better as lots of dogs do.
Thank you, I thought that might be the case .
Bye the way I grew up in a home with labradors . But not like this one they were all dopey and easy going. Dexter is very very clever but absolutley hyper off his head bonkers. I know they say chocs can be bonkers but is it just because hes from working gun dogs ? Only had black labs from home environmenst before.

·
Administrator
20,493 Posts
I agree that the reason why he is not eating is because he's not hungry,and yes, dogs can live on exactly the same food for their entire life.

But saying that,dogs in the wild are opportunist feeders, they eat what they find when they find it. Back in the immediate post war period when we were on food rationing our dogs lived on table scraps, it was all we had. And I have to say,my first dog, living through that period is still the oldest I ever got a dog to! Dog food manufacturers perpetuate the myth that dogs must have the same food every day, on pain of gippy tummy if you dont stick to it. In fact it gives them a nice captive market, and to a certain extent is self perpetuating in that dogs get so use to their regular diet and their stomachs develop around that food changing can cause diarrhoea simply because they are not use to it. Personally I always add a little of any food left overs to my dogs bowl, meat or veg. I~t's said that cabbage can make them windy but it never has with mine. (Whether because they are use to it or because I'm use to it I'm not sure! :lol: ) I dont give fried food, but most other, Spag Bol and Chinese Sweet and Sour included!! Obviously when I do give extras I drop the amount of their regular food to compensate.

Regards, John

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Wainwrights (pets at home own brand) salmon and potato formula. ;-) But hey thats just what has sorted my fussy eaters and upset stomach folks. Others might have done it another way.

Your chocolate will be from a majority of pet and show lines in terms of his pedigree... even if he comes from a kennel that works their dogs. So his behaviour is not genetic, it is due to other factors including simulation levels, training, boundaries and so on like that.

Di

·
Registered
588 Posts
If in doubt re heath get dog checked but I would not be concerned if breathing seems normal, ears/nose clear, no lumps bumps, co-ordinated, gums pink, back end working and otherwsise okay.

Beware of vets who recommend food they sell.

Some dogs eat anything at any time but some will eat according to metabolism and exercise.

AG is an okay food albeit I ditched it when there were allegedly some changes. Keen now to avoid high maize content foods.

After trying 3 mid range foods I am on 2nd bag of skinners fiield and trial duck and rice right now and happy but that is just my dog.........he likes left over roast chicken and other stuff too. I agree with John - some of us are a bit precious re diet but keep an eye on body weight and reduce kibble if feeding other stuff

·
Registered
315 Posts
Symply food is what burt is on at the moment, they give you the money back if your dog doesnt like it they are that confident. Might be worth a try, it also sorted out Burts troublsome tum

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used Symply for my choc lab during the last year of his life. Good but expensive. Towards the very end he had Chappie just because he liked it. I.m feeding my puppy both Wainwrights and tinned Chappie (and scraps) and she's thriving.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
I was advised to give the occasional pro-biotic drink as well as various bits of human food to help strengthen the digestive system. Coco sometimes gets an Actimel or some live yoghurt and gets scraps after our meals, especially meat and veg. She very rarely has a dodgy tum these days despite eating any food she finds on walks. I know some people buy pro-biotic powder instead.

If the runny bums persist then check the amounts you are feeding as overfeeding can cause this and if it continues to be a problem it might need further investigation in case there is some underlying infection that needs treatment.

A splash of warm water on dried food is often enough to tempt reluctant eaters too.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Sainsbury's sell St Helen's Farm goats milk yoghurt and I've found a dessertspoonful added to each meal often helps settle a stomach as well as giving them an added incentive to eat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts