Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My yellow lab Poppy has an ulcer. She had gone for 3 months at my usual vets with them thinking it was an inflamed pancreas problems as she was bringing up bile so they put her on low fat food but it didn't help and she was still poorly. So she was referred to an expert in his filed of ultrasound and endoscopes.

The ultrasound showed no pancreas problems but showed an ulcer. She has started a course of antibiotics in case the ulcer is due to helocobacter pylori, has zantac 3 times a day and antepsin 3 times a day.

Her sickness has improved but her tummy still hurts.

The owrry we have is that if she doesn't improve fully some ulcers can be caused by an underlying tumour so this is a worrying time.

I would do anything for my baby so any info you can all give would be great.

If you want to see her go to www.poppydog.co.uk

Many thanks

Love Hazelx

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Hazel,

Really sorry to hear about Poppy, it must be a worrying time for you at the moment. I haven't seen this before but i've found link, which might be helpful:

http://www.ranvet.com.au/stomach_ulcers_in_dogs.htm

When does Poppy finish the course of antibiotics?

I hope she's feeling better and it clears up, please keep us posted as to how she gets on.

All the best

Julie

P.S Have looked at Poppy's photo and she is lovely!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I treid to view the website but its unavailable?

She was ok for a week and then she started to be sick again on Thursday. Our vet said to stop the antibiotics, to see if they had started to aggravate her tummy lining.

So we are waiting now to see how she goes. My poor hubby, i had food poisoning last week and have a terrible chest infection that just wont go away so hes been doing all the up and down on a night to where last night he just collapsed on the sofa and stayed downstairs with her.

We have to make a decision if she doesn't stop being sick to have the ulcer surgically removed.

Love Hazel

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Hazel,

I've just tested the link from my end and seems to be ok. Perhaps it was down temporarily...

Thanks for the update on Poppy, sorry to hear she has been sick again recently.

Hope you & your hubby feel better soon too Hazel, sounds like you have had a very tiring week. :(

Do any of our other members know anything about ulcers? Hope you find some additional info soon.

Julie

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for those. We know she doesn't have helicobacter because a biopsy from the endoscope showed no evidence and tweeks course of antibiotics would have cleared it up. Note the time im up at the mo, yes v early, she woke us again to go outside but she wasn't sick, so she had some chicken and arrowroot biccies and shes now sound asleep bless, so is her dad too, unlike me sho has the girlie monthly pains and cant get back to sleep so thought id surf the net a little.

So, lets hope the sickness was a build up of the pills and shes on the mend again. All we can do is cross our fingers and wait.

Would so love to go to the labrador meet up on 20th August (i'd be in my element with all the lovely labs) but as yet we cant even look to the next day without knowing whats going to happen and how shes going to recover. We have our usual dog holiday booked at the end of July in the Lake District and so hope we can still go, lets hope everything is sorted by then.

Thanks fro all your help.

Love Hazelx

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Morning Hazel,

Really hope you & Poppy feel better soon.

Would be lovely to see you at the Get Together - lets hope things will get back to normal for you soon.

When does Poppy have to go back to see the vet?

Julie

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It depends. Theres no set appt. Its up to us to monitor her and if she just cant stop being sick then she'll have to have the op.

She wasn't sick last night just felt it which is how we were for a week until it started so wea re hoping it was the antibiotics. Am going to ask my vet today to see if i can give her one of her anti-emetics before bed to try stop her waking feelng sick then we all might get some refreshed sleep :)

Will keep you posted.

Love Hazelx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts