Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lab had 6 puppies 3 days ago. Since then she doesnt want to eat (will only take whats given by hand) and doesnt look happy. She also doesnt seem to have much milk, though the pups are putting on 1-1.5 oz per day. I`ve also tried supplementing with formula given by bottle and syringe, but can`t get any of them to take it. Help!! :(

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi sorry to hear that you have problems with your bitch. Did you take her to the vet? Did you check all after births were accounted for? One of my bitches was very reluctant to leave the whelping box to feed for the first few days so i took her food to the whelping box for her. Please don't leave it too long before you seek help from the vet if you have not already done this.

Regards
Margaret

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. She retained a placenta for 18 hours, so I took her to the vet and she was given oxytocin. The discharge today has lessened considerably. The vet said she didn`t seem to have much milk but as the pups had gained we didn`t worry. How much should the pups be gaining daily? They were from 12oz-1lb 1oz at birth and have now all gained approx 4oz in the 3 days.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Thats about average weight for the pups to put on. I know we say you should'nt hand feed but i would make an exception to the rule if you can get the bitch to eat that way. Did she get an antibiotic injection when she was at the vet? 1 of mine got an antibiotic after having pups for the same reason and she was at the vets 4 hours after whelping i had noticed that the afterbirth was retained.
Just try and get the bitch to eat small meals but often I know it's hard and a worrying time for you but with time i'm sure she will be back to normal. If you are really worried about her go back to your vet it's not worth taking risks, your bitch comes first.

Good Luck

Margaret

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
puppy update. What colour?

Mummy and puppies much better thankyou. She isn`t the most enthusiastic but does the basics then leaves them alone if she can. Saying that, the puppies are thriving fantastically. A silly question here ..... how can I be sure whether the pups are black or chocolate? A couple are quite a bit lighter than the others and have slightly different coloured noses?
Jo

·
Administrator
20,738 Posts
how can I be sure whether the pups are black or chocolate?
I think you will have to wait a few days to be sure. Very dark chocolate can look rather "Blackish" until they gow a little.

Regards, John

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi Fudge

Great to hear mummy & puppies are doing well.

I have had a litter with both blacks & chocolate and could always tell from birth that they were one or other. What colour are the parents?

Margaret

1 - 8 of 8 Posts