Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all , u all know me as the owner of (now) 5-6 week old female white lab ginger (whom i had got at an age of 3 weeks by mistake). Now i wanted to ask u guys few stuff

1) HOW TO MAKE HER STOP BITING OUR FOOT OFF. My legs are red by her biting. When she bites me I pick up a cane and beat her till she is unconcious. HAHA gotya , guys had a heart attack didnt u :twisted: but no really what to do . She bites me and my family so bad my sister's hand was all red and bruised . If she bites really hard i lock her int he bathroom for 3-4 minutes and then i let her out. It seems to make her understand it for sometime and then she is off biting again.

2) i need to poop and pee train her. plz some1 tell me how she does it all over the house in 10-15 different places. I have to search and locate and then clean up. I have work to do cant keep doing all this (feed her 5 times, give medicine 6 times , brush her , take her out 4 times a day and then clean poop and pee 10 times) HELP!

3) Labs aint very good gaurd dogs right? i mean when she is all grown up and i am attacked or something she ll prolly just hide under a sofa eh? :roll:

4) wanted to tell u guys a funny story. Took her to the best vet in delhi few days back. He gave her a de worming tablet and closed her mouth and rubbed her throat so that she has it. We all that she did but when the vet let go of her mouth she literally spit it out 8O lol it had to be given again along iwth a remark from the vet "what a naughty girl"

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
ok 5-6 weeks old wow that seems to of flown by well done :) ok

1:she is teething no doubt about it someone wrote in another post that you can freeze some of her toys for her to chew on also if she is biting you you have to say NO or walk away and ignore her

2:im afraid you got yourself into this situation and you were warned it would take a hell of a long time and patience.. toilet training you take her out every 20mins or 40mins or if you want try paper training her but the good ol fashioned outside trick works after a while after all she is still very young

3: i replyed to your post in attacked and again it depends ont he owner and what you train her or if like my dogs she wants to protect her pack family :) my dogs are great outdoors with other ppl but if a stranger came into my garden or home they would know about it till i told them to calm down..i have not taught them to be aggresive but they are when the time is needed :)

i know others will go into more detail with the toilet training and the biting so just read the advice given and good luck with it all :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh thx u :) yes i do the NO and ignore thing but then she follows me around trying to grab all the attention she can . If i still dont give her attention she sits on her ass and keeps looking at me :oops: ! sigh tough thing to stay away for 2 long.

And can some1 plz give me some advice on news paper training. No i dont want her to read it :razz: i want her to pee on it . How to make her do that so that she finds her way to the news paper and pees only on that!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi anando

All puppies play bite although you may find that because she was taken away so early, she will not have had the opportunity to start learning to inhibit her bite from her littermates and mum.

http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/spt/SPT_Puppies.htm

You will find some useful info in these articles. Consistency and perseverence are the key.

She is too young to have bladder or bowel control, but you can still start taking her out into the garden - which needs to be more than four times a day. There's some tips here:
http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-179.html

Labradors are not a guarding breed although like most dogs they will bark to alert that someone is trying to enter their territory. Of course there may be individual cases of dogs protecting their owner, but generally, no they are not guard dogs.
HTH :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
biting

hello
i found with Charlie if he was biting anything he should not have been biting we would
1 say no and give him a chew or toy and say Charlie chew chew good boy.
also give him praise when he chews his stuff.
2 i would yelp out/cry so he thought he was hurting me.
3 if he was biting my ear etc i would try and pull his ear with my lips so he learnt it wasn`t fair and i would show him my teeth in disgust.
4 hit him with an empty carrier bag didn`t hurt him just scared him.
i don`t know if its any help but i promise charlie isn`t in a nut house.
good luck if anyone else has this problem.
louise and charlie

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Louise

Personally I dont think that scaring a dog into doing the right thing is correct!! If I knew that either of my dogs were afraid of a carrier bag I would make sure that I never shook one in their presence because I would never want to intentionally want to scare either of them.

Surely you must realise that by using an empty carrier bag because Charlie is scared of it is detrimental to his training because all you are doing is stopping him from doing anything naughty by scaring him, not by teaching him that what he is doing is wrong??!!!

I also can not quite get my head around the need to pull at your dogs ear by your mouth.....very bizarre!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts