Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have had nine months without ANY chewing what so ever...then WHAM!!!!!!!!!

During the last three weeks Ruby has chewed two door frames, a TV unit, a dinning chair and a hole in some boxing in :evil:

There is nothing for it I have had to get her crate back out to save my home :(

Has anyone else had experience of this? A pup who has spent the first 9 months of their life (including the teething stage) without being a chewer then suddenly developing a 'taste' for it??

I wondered if it could be linked to her season (I am still waiting for her first one) the only other thing that has changed recently is her diet. It couldn't possibally be that, could it? She's still so hungry she's eating my furniture?!? :?

Butter wouldn't melt, but wood work does!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Well, Bracken was a wee bit of a chewer as a little pup, but I decrated her at 6 months and all went swimmingly for ages.

Then, bam...... munched a door frame, and another one, and another one. One door frame looked like something the size of a dinosaur had been at it.

They go through a second chewing stage. Sound like Ruby's hit hers now.

Bracken's stopped chewing, but Boots has chewed 2 beds so far this week.

Edited to say I don't know why it's asterisked that bit out, I didn't swear, honest!!! I said it sounds like Ruby has hit hers now :?

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
RAWHIDE and RAWHIDE and RAWHIDE!!!

Luna went through a big chewing phase at that age and it coincided with 2 months of rest due to a stress fracture in leg too!!!!

We got through loads of RAWHIDE because living in rented housing no door frames were allowed to be touched!!!!!!!!!!

I figured/figure if she feels the need to chew, give her something to chew!!

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Edited to say I don't know why it's asterisked that bit out, I didn't swear, honest!!! I said it sounds like Ruby has hit hers now :?[/quote]

maybe you missed a space :wink:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luna-tic said:
RAWHIDE and RAWHIDE and RAWHIDE!!!

Luna went through a big chewing phase at that age and it coincided with 2 months of rest due to a stress fracture in leg too!!!!

We got through loads of RAWHIDE because living in rented housing no door frames were allowed to be touched!!!!!!!!!!

I figured/figure if she feels the need to chew, give her something to chew!!
I wish it was that simple!! Ruby has TONS of things to chew, rawhide / Nylabone etc but she seems to suddenly prefer anything wood :roll:

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
I wish it was that simple!! Ruby has TONS of things to chew, rawhide / Nylabone etc but she seems to suddenly prefer anything wood
Aaaaaah! She's an irritating minx!!!!! Pound shop wooden spoons???? Thick cardboard boxes??

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Thankfully, Lucy was never a 'chewer' but we plied her with plenty of rawhide which seemed to curb her urges, and *touches wood* nearly 2yrs down the line....nothing in the house has been destroyed! :D

Plus, at 9 months, that's around about the 'teenage devil dog' age....Lucy turned into an absolute nightmare from about 7 months till about 13/14 months...all her training went out the window and she was a RIGHT little madam....

Good luck, i'm sure its just a 'phase' and will pass.

I know Pat had/has a chewer on her hands with Tarka...maybe she can shed some light and advice? :D

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Ruby meet Pasco!!

We've had some major munching, and re crated him. This week I've decrated him again and had only minor nibbling!

He knows that he's not to do it as well.... if I go to pick the bits of wood off the floor he slinks off in the most guilty manner! Like we beat him on a regular basis! Little sods lived the life of riley! :lol: :lol:

?

·
0 Posts
Often Chewing doesn't start until they hit 6-9 months old and this is probably due to their adult teeth settling into their final positions. The jaws are still growing at this age and so the adult teeth seem to come in and then need to adjust and readjust until they sit just right in their mouths.

For now I'd recrate her, as if she finds chewing your house is a great comfort to her, it could become an established behaviour. Nice big raw juicy bones are the way to go, to keep her jaws occupied and help her mouth feel confortable :wink: .

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Hi Rockess hope you don't mind me butting in with a question on your thread.

Jules, Dylan is 6 months and has raw beef rib bones do you think he is old enough for the big marrow bones yet? I have read they upset their tummies when young?
Thanks in advance :D

Also Rockess just gotta say OH and I were cooing over that photo of Ruby last night! So gorgeous. Think it's a ghostly dog that comes in and chews couldn't possibly be that angelic looking ruby :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Nylabones are the win :D

?

·
0 Posts
xxSue13xx said:
Jules, Dylan is 6 months and has raw beef rib bones do you think he is old enough for the big marrow bones yet? I have read they upset their tummies when young?
Sue if you have never fed bones of any variety before, you are best off starting with something small and with not a lot of marrow in as it's nothing to do with age and all to do with how used to the new food their tums are.

I tend to start mine off on beef ribs, or bits of shoulder, in fact anything with not a load of meat or fat on and not loads of marrow in. That said, I do feed marrow bones if I can't get hold of anything else, I just scrap as much of the marrow out as possible first, as it is virtually all fat and can upset their tums or make them fat. BTW the marrow makes lovely roast potatoes if you cook with it :wink: .

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Chewing, ah yes, been there done that. Last Christmas Cadbury seemed to have stopped so fixed the hole in the wall. A week later he had chewed off all the new plaster again :(

I always kept him confined to the kitchen using a stairgate while I was out or if I couldn't supervise him, that limited the damage, and bones, cardboard, toys to rip always helped - though I did find that he needed 'new' ones (or at least ones he had not seen for a while) or else he wasn't interested in them.

Well, he is now 18 months and last week the hole in the wall was plastered over and it has also been painted. The cooker no longer has a great big wooden guard on it to protect it (he consumed all the knobs, twice) and it is still in one piece. And the final job is repairing the door frame. So looks like my boy has grown up, though I still always have things around for him to chew if he wants to.

Now if we could just fix the sock and shoe stealing (and subsequent chewing) we would be sorted.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Chocice said:
. The cooker no longer has a great big wooden guard on it to protect it (he consumed all the knobs, twice) and it is still in one piece.
That really made me laugh Sophie - chewing off two sets of knobs!

We had to build a wooden frame round the boiler for one of our dogs as his hobby was chewing it and the pipes that came out of it! When they are mature and sensible(ish) it's hard to believe the way they carried on when they were young whippersnappers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tilly was exactly the same, she has chewed two holes in my hall wall, ripped up my carpet in the hall :cry: (so had to replace with wooden flooring), chewed door frames and attempted to chew kitchen cupboards. We eventually bought anti chew spray from the pet shops, took a couple to work but she did eventually leave them alone.

Plus we bought loads and loads of rawhide chews aswell, and also bought her a kong. She is now 12months she has left the walls and flooring alone, but I still can't trust her to be left in a room herself and everything and anything lying around gets chewed.

Does anyone know how to stop them jumping on the kitchen worktops and stealing things.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Kirsty1582 said:
Does anyone know how to stop them jumping on the kitchen worktops and stealing things.
Yes, apparently the best method is to set them up by balancing a load of pots and pans etc up there and when doglet jumps up and disturbs the noisy things, the resultant clanging and crashing onto the floor is enough to ensure they never do it again...

(Never tried this. Don't know if it works!)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re stealing things from the kitchen counters (don't know how to make the quote appear!!)

There's a great vid on YouTube which has a chap putting a hot dog over the edge for the dog to see. The hot dog is tied to a lightweight metal bowl, full of empty coke cans. The dog sees the hot dog, tries to steal it, and gets all the noise and clattering that goes with it. Nothing is heavy so there is no risk of injury to the dog but it does make a huge racket.

We are currently saving coke cans :D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the great advice all!! I have re-created her for the time being (in fact I was very suprised how pleased she seemed to see her old create again :? )

Jules, I would love to leave her with a big juicy bone to keep her occupied, however, the chewing issue is only when she is alone, do you leave yours with bones unattended?

?

·
0 Posts
Rockess01 said:
Jules, I would love to leave her with a big juicy bone to keep her occupied, however, the chewing issue is only when she is alone, do you leave yours with bones unattended?
Probably not....but if she was all Chewed Out before you left her, she might not have the urge/desire to chew your house :wink: .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts