Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maya is now nearly 8 months old. Following bonfire weekend, she has become fearful of all unexpected noises and her response is barking and pacing. Unfortunately we live in a semi detached property with an elderly neighbour so the barking is a big issue. Our vet has referred us to an animal behaviourist and we have had an initial session with her which had to be by Skype due to COVID. She has said we have to ignore the barking but in our situation I’m really struggling with that as I’m desperate not to cause problems for our neighbour. I feel so bad for Maya that she feels so scared now all because of fireworks although the behaviourist has said this was always there and would probably have come out at some point. Having had a laid back Yellow Labrador and a fairly chilled Chocolate one, I’m at sea with it all. Things aren’t helped by the fact that I suffer with Anxiety which can’t be treated with the usual medications and youngest daughter has mental health issues too. My husband works away a lot so it’s me and her trying to handle it. I’ve gone round in circles in the early hours as to whether we are the right family for my lovely puppy but I confess I don’t want to contemplate the upset it would cause to all of us, but especially to Maya and my youngest daughter. If any one on the forums has had to deal with something like this before, I’d really appreciate some wise words right now. If anyone has successfully dealt with the same problem, some reassurance would be very welcome. Thanks from Maya’s mum

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
There are a number of things that you could turn to to help pup, maybe try skullcap and valerian tablets from dorwest herbs. I use an indica dominant hybrid CBD paste (made from the whole plant not just oil from CBD Brothers) for my own anxiety and for one of my dogs. The CBD isn’t an instant fix, it can take weeks to build up to an effective dose and it’s even more important to ensure you buy from a reputable supplier, not all CBD is equal and most of the stuff you can buy in health food shops is based on a sativa plant which is totally inappropriate for issues with anxiety.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a number of things that you could turn to to help pup, maybe try skullcap and valerian tablets from dorwest herbs. I use an indica dominant hybrid CBD paste (made from the whole plant not just oil from CBD Brothers) for my own anxiety and for one of my dogs. The CBD isn’t an instant fix, it can take weeks to build up to an effective dose and it’s even more important to ensure you buy from a reputable supplier, not all CBD is equal and most of the stuff you can buy in health food shops is based on a sativa plant which is totally inappropriate for issues with anxiety.
Thank you so much Maddie, I’ve ordered the skullcap and valerian tablets. Where do you get the indica dominant hybrid CBD paste from? I’m not very up on these things. I’ve tried to handle my anxiety using the Kalms supplements and the occasional prescription of Benzodiazepines from the GP as I suffered a life threatening reaction when I was tried on SSRI’s. I haven’t delved into CBD.

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
I get mine from CBD Brothers. It’s the purple range. If you are on Facebook, I’d recommend you join the group Herbal Alternatives (there’s a sister group for animals called Herbal Health Pets UK/EU). There is a mountain of information on CBD, it’s uses, dosing and how it works. I use a green paste (sativa) for my dog with arthritis and purple for my elderly dog with arthritis and signs of dementia. I can really really notice if my elderly dog has missed a dose. Building up the dose is critical over a period of several weeks, thé FB group will answer specific questions and advise and offer support.

I have suffered very badly from anxiety in the past, I started using the purple paste and within a few weeks I noticed the noisy voices in my head had gone (you’ll understand what I mean). I also use relax CBD balm from Herbal Health at night or top up during the day.

By the way, I’m not affiliated with any of the companies or groups I’ve mentioned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much Maddie, I’ve ordered the skullcap and valerian tablets. Where do you get the indica dominant hybrid CBD paste from? I’m not very up on these things. I’ve tried to handle my anxiety using the Kalms supplements and the occasional prescription of Benzodiazepines from the GP as I suffered a life threatening reaction when I was tried on SSRI’s. I haven’t delved into CBD.
Thank you again Maddie, i’ve had acute anxiety episodes which have been very difficult but I can usually manage it in every day life so I think you’ve been through that kill much worse than I have although I do know what you mean about the constant internal chatter. I’ll definitely join the Facebook group you suggest. As for my Maya, Ive spoke to my vet this morning as my poor girl is on such high alert she can’t stop pacing and barking and the vet has asked us to try something called Sileo as a short term measure to give her a break from being scared so I’m going to do that as it breaks my heart to see her like this:cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts