Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duke, as i said on previous threads, has epilepsy. He's on 4 60mg tablets, everyday. He's been on the epiphen, for about a year now (since he was 11 months old). Now, he has always peed an awful lot, but nothing to be concerned about. But now, he's starting urinating in his sleep, and he did it twice today, as well as weeing a lot when walking about. Now, the fact he is urinating in his sleep is ringing alarm bells of him either having an infection of some sort, or, he has become incontinent. What should we do? He hasn't gone off his food, or his walks for that matter, but is there anything signs in particular we should be looking out for? Anyone else gone through similar things?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Natalie and Dukey

G

·
Sorry I don't know anything about this, but just giving a little bump, it might get a few more replies if you change the title to let people know what you need help with too.

Hope he's OK xx

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I would agree, edit the title of your post and hopefully someone like John W will be along to help :D

I do hope that Duke is better soon

·
Administrator
21,501 Posts
Hello Natalie,

I think you need to talk to your vet about this, because there are two or more possible causes.

Firstly, there could be a simple urine infection. Clear it up and you are home and dry.

Secondly, an Epilepsy episode often happens when a dog is relaxed. In fact, some people may not realise that their dog is Epileptic because it only fits when asleep. (A friend's GSD was like that and it was only because it slept outside her bedroom door and it's paws were beating a tattoo on her door that she found out!) So it could be that he is loosing control whilst fitting. Maybe an adjustment to his medication will sort that

Thirdly, there could be an underlying problem. Has he been drinking heavier than usual? There are a number of things which can cause excessivly heavy drinking, which again, can be treated.

So you see, you really need to be talking to your vet so he/she can decide on a course of action.

Regards, John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to see the vet today, but my mam wants me to wait till his insurance kicks in, just incase its a long time illness. I have a feeling it is an infection, but there is no smell or anything. I haven't noticed him drinking more than usual, but when he is out on walks drinks river water, so I have a feeling he might of caught something like that, rather than it being incontinence.
Duke hasn't had a seizure, that we have seen since the 25th June. And we believe his epilepsy may be due to a change of routine. He might become stressed with this, and when he is calm later in the day, he will have a fit.

Is it likely to be incontience at 2 years of age? And are we making the wrong decision to wait for the pet insurance to start?

Thank you everyone. And thanks to the person who changed the title.

Natalie and Duke

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
How long until his insurance kicks in?

If he does have an infection you really need to get it checked out now, so that it doesn't progress. If it does progress then sometimes it can threaten the kidneys. Bear in mind also that he might be uncomfortable without showing much distress.

I have recently had incontinence issues with Topsy, mainly due to an infection, but also due to a little post spay problems too (spay will not apply to Duke, of course :wink: ).

I was going to ask if he had a pungent smell of any sort about him (as Topsy did), as some infections can cause that. You say he hasn't though. However, I would still get it checked out.

If it is a simple urine infection then a course of antibiotics should sort it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
14 Days for the insurance :/

My mam says hes done things like this before, but nothing too serious. I can see why she wants to wait for the insurance. But could we get him checked for a urine infection, and in the mean time, we're hopefully helping him whilst waiting for the insurance to kick in?

Again, thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
21,501 Posts
At 2 years old, simple incontience is very unlikely. I'd also say that catching a urine infection from puddles and streams is not likely. (Not impossible, but unlikely) A possible infection from dirty water is Lyme Disease, spread from rats urine, but this would not show as a urine infection.

Were I to guess, and I stress, it's only a guess, is that it's quite likely fits in the night.

Regards, John

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hiya
Tombi wets herself when she has a fit.... (which is only when she is asleep)
Inja wets herself (rarely) in her sleep because she has (we think) a bit of spay incontinence....
As others have said, it may be related to epilepsy or may be something completely unrelated. Definitely get to the vets to get it checked out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My mam wants to know whether him urinating in his sleep could be a lack of testostarone because he has been neutered. (She heard it off someone that it could cause it).
As for it having to do with the epilepsy - he tends to only have one of these when his rountine changes, which unfortunatly happened about twenty minutes ago. As well as this he is exhausted afterwards and sleeps for most of the day.
I still don't think it is incontinence, but as you said, infection is looking pretty unlikely too. My mam still is persisting for us to wait till his insurance to come through though - so I won't be able to find out whats wrong with our Dukey Wookey just yet :(.

Thanks everyone for your help though, you'se have all been amazing

Nat and Duke

·
Administrator
21,501 Posts
My mam wants to know whether him urinating in his sleep could be a lack of testostarone because he has been neutered.
Possible, but unlikely. This is something which is more likely in neutered bitches than dogs. Usually incontinence in males is more likely to be an old age thing, well past his age.

Regards, John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah okay, well the countdown till his insurance has started. So, I will update what is wrong with him when I can. Thank you everybody for your help. Duke hasn't done it since sunday now, which to me says it isn't incontinence. Again though, thankyou everyone!

Nat and Dukes

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Post desexing (to use a US term) is more prone to bitches than dogs and doesn`t usually last long although it can be a problem sometimes.

I`ve not heard of it in dogs but again I`m no expert and don`t know for sure.

I`m assuming Duke wasn`t already insured pre his epilepsy diagnosis?, if so, insuring him now is too late I`m afraid, no insurance company will cover a pre existing condition and they will find out because they check with the vet to see if the animal is already being treated for what your claiming for.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update on Duke:

Duke hasn't urinated in his sleep for a week now. Still waiting for the insurance to kick in, when it does, we will talk to a vet about it. Oh and we know we can't insure any pre existing problems, but we're just being careful with him now. Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been near a computer for a while.

Again, thank you everyone :)

Nat and Dukey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts