Labradors Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Oh poor Max - so pleased that your sister went ahead and got that second opinion. It's good to hear he's still enjoying his life with the medication helping. Let's hope that he has many many happy years ahead of him!

And that Pug definitely looks like an honorary labrador to me! Welcome back to LF!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Sorry to hear the diagnosis,

but can I share this with you to pass on to your sister in the hope it will help her, when I worked at the farm, the farm dog, a golden retriever had this, his head had a very noticeble dip due to the muscle wastage caused by the tumour and it affected his eye socket whereby his eye looked sunken. He was first diagnosed at the age of 8 and lived to the ripe old age of 14, only when he developed arthritis at the age of13 did he stop accompanying all the children on their walks around the farm.

I hope that Max has a long happy life like Paddy did

·
Registered
714 Posts
Feeling for your sister, it's so very hard getting this kind of diagnosis so I have everything crossed that Max will be her little lad for a good while yet. x

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello - hope someone can offer advice. My sisters Lab has a concave dip appear on one side of his head and has been scratching the side of his head. She has been to the vets and there is no ear infection and the vet felt it might be nerological or a stroke. He has told her to see how it goes for a few weeks - my sister is obviously very worried and the diagnosis has left her in confusion and worry. She asked about a scan on his head etc but the vet seemed a bit unkeen/vague. Max has not been out of my sisters sight so she knows he has not had a fall or knock.
Unrelated - but Max had bloods taken a few weeks ago as he was drinking a lot and was lethargic - bloods came back fine - the only thing was slight stress apparently which my sister put down to having to look after a stray cat for a few weeks. He was well within a few days of this and has been fine for weeks since this dip so possibly unrelated to this new problem.
Max is 7 and always been fit and well and a happy dog with no illnesses.
I thought maybe she should get a second opinion to put her mind at rest so she is seeing my vet tomorrow - but I was wondering if anyone else has had any symptoms/experiences like this with their Labs? Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.
It’s most likely myositis

·
Administrator
20,490 Posts
Sounds very much like Vestibular Syndrome. Check the eyes. One or both often flick to the side. With him standing, gently pick up a hind paw and double the toes under and put the paw back down again. He should straighten it straight away. If it takes a second or so to pull the toes out from under, or if the eyes flick sideways then it would look very much like VS. The good news is, this is almost always self limiting. That a full recovery is likely. Over the years I've seen it several times with various of my dogs.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts