Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have just picked up our new black labrador Lucca and have set up his crate (he previously was sleeping in one with the breeder) my question is I have lined the bottom with his vet bed and put in his toys, but should I also put some newspaper in??? Not really sure how the night time regime is going to go at all - all help appreciated!! :?

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi,

..and welcome to Lucca....bet he is scrumptious...and you so proud eh?

As for crates, most people put puppy pads etc one end and his bedding the other.

Can't wait to see the pics............

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi there

We covered half the crate with Corbie's blankets and half in newspaper and he was dry all night by 10 weeks old.

Hope it goes well :D

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
We also covered one half with a blanket and the other with newspaper. Ben was also dry by 10 weeks old too, just lucky i guess..lol

Goodluck :wink:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Sarah

I'm afraid I can't comment on the crate as we never used one, but I just wanted to say welcome to Lucca! You must be so chuffed!

Looking forward to hearing all about him. Give him a big doggy cuddle from Smudge!

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi thanks for the tips, i'll get some newspaper put down. He is absolutely gorgeous i'm in love already. As I try and type (one handed) he is sitting on my lap having a cuddle, which is where he wants to be most of the time (not that I am complaining) :D i'm going to rename him my shadow! not sure how tonight is going to go as he does seem to like to know people are around him - thought about putting on a radio and giving him a hot water bottle - should I also get up to him in the night to let him out?

Sarah

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hi and congrats on getting Lucca!

We had Holly in crate from day 1 - to begin with box inside it . I think this made it cosier for her. However we found we were not timing getting up to her very well and she had quite a few accidents before we could get to her but didnt want to go when we went to let her out.

So we took out cardboard(she had learnt to leap on it anyway ):roll: and put paper in half. This did work well, although a few accident s occured when bed got pushed onto paper or she managed to walk it onto bed :(

She has just hit about 13 weeks and for last few nights - dry and clean in the morning!!! :D

I think this is a personal choice as there is a lot of advice about getting up to them instead and making crate smaller but i can only say what worked for us (or at least seems to be at the mo ):)

The radio also worked for us as did draping a big towel over crate to make it cosier. Holly took to her crate really quickly, and its her favourite place to sleep now - sometimes in the evening its actually hard work to get her to sit with us!!

Hope all goes well whatever you decide

Shelley and Holly

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not too bad Rhoni - I settled him down at about 10.00 pm and he woke crying at 1.00 am. I got up to him but kept everything low key turning on as few a lights as possible and not speaking to him - I cleaned up his crate gave him a few reassuring strokes and he went back to sleep - however, he also woke at 4.45 pm. when hubby decided he would take his turn - great in theory - but in his wisdom he decided that he would go for a full scale play session - so I can see problems tonight somehow 8O I think I will take responsibility for the night time routine from now on :wink:

Otherwise all going really well - apart from I had to leave him for an hour at lunchtime and really upset him - he cried when I left, and then when I got back - he kept following me around crying for about 2 hours (our breeder says Labs do a great line in guilt trips and blackmail and that I should ignore it) but that little face with those sad eyes make me feel awful!!!! He is such a cuddly dog and if he had his way he would be carried around or on your lap all day :D not sure how thats going to work when he is 7 months old though!

Sarah

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
LOL....Sounds on the whole then it wasn't to bad....well you and Lucca anyway.....might like to give your hubby a slap eh? :D :lol: :D

I know what you mean about the guilt thing....they look so lost and forlorn....but I suppose up until yesturday he had his siblings to comfort him so may be feeling a bit lost :(

Although your breeder might be right to ignore 8O as Lucca will learn soon enough ' ok I whine and whimper and I win ! :D

Maybe wait till he stops, even for a few seconds then praise, as this would teach him that you will give him attention when you are ready and he gets some lovin' when he is quiet, not crying........

....but bless even I wanna just give him a cuddle..... :wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it is hard - however when I popped out this afternoon to collect the children from school, he was alot better, he still wimpered a little when I came home but no where near as bad as this morning :D Also he seems to be slightly more independant which is obviously a sign that he his settling in a bit - infact he is now in the other room asleep and I am able to type with two hands rather than with one!!!!

You do feel for them, it must be a difficult transistion, I cried when I left the breeders house as I felt sorry for his siblings and mum, much to the amusement of the breeder who is obviously used to this!!!

So we are getting ready for another night - and leaving hubby out of the equation I think may be the best option :wink:

Sarah

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Sarah,

That's really promising and easier for you knowing that Lucca was more settled.

Look forward to hearing tomorrow, about tonight ! :wink:

I trust your hubby in locked in the shed lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Rhoni

Last night was better than I thought it would be after the antics of my 'helpful' husband :roll: Lucca went to bed about 10.00 pm. and settled quite quickly again having a hot water bottle, but this time I left the radio off. I was woken by his crying at 3.00 am and let him out whilst I tidied his crate, replaced his water (which he had tossed all over the place!) and refilled the hot water bottle which was by now stone cold. During this time I did not utter a word to Lucca, just ignored him - even though all I wanted to do myself was have a play and a cuddle :( I then put him back in his crate stroked him a couple of times and went back upstairs - he wimpered for about a minute if that and I heard nothing more until I went down at 6.00 am :D the only problem is after going back to bed I can't get back to sleep for ages - so actually I am knackered and it isn't even the dogs fault :wink:

I also was out quite a bit of today, although I arranged for my mum to 'puppy sit' whilst I was away - when we all came home, after he had been left for about an hour along again, he seemed alot more settled and rather than following me around crying was just bounding around wagging his tail trying to lick (or was that eat????) everyone :D

Sarah

PS.I like the idea of sending Lawrence to the shed - however, if I do that once may not actually let him back in again...... EVER :lol:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Result Sarah...

Sounds like it is all coming alone swimmingly....fingers crossed

If you stick with it, it should all be sorted in a matter of days...and the toilet training will follow shortly afterwards :wink:

He seems to already be focusing on you hence being excited upon your return......

·
Registered
676 Posts
Sounds like all is going well there - well done. I know what you mean about not settling yourself. For the first few days with Holly i would lie awake thinking Can I hear her?? Half the time it was hubby making noises in his sleep. Maybe i should swap the 2 - we dont hear a sound from here now but John...wel :roll: ....

Anyway were gonnsa try letting her have blankets/bed across crate tonight - no paper at all theres been no accidents for a while :D Fingers crossed.

Crikey this is as bad as toilet trainig kids!!! :lol:

Good luck tonight
Shelley

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well done Shelley - sounds like you have it sussed (fingers crossed!) any tips most appreciated as I have just taken Lucca outside waited a while and nothing, he walks straight inside and wee's on my feet - not sure he has quite grasped the concept somehow! :)

I know what you mean about noises from husbands! although Lawrence always swears blind he doesn't snore :roll: Lucca on the other hand snores for England and bunny hops in his dreams - aren't they just so cute!

Sarah

·
Registered
676 Posts
Sorry Sarah, had to laugh at the weeing on your feet. Hope they werent good slippers!! :lol:

Amazed to say Holly had a clean dry bed last night. Thought it would be a disaster especially as i was one getting up this morning and im always unlucky like that. But she just barked twice at 6.15 (we're a house of early risers unfortunately!! not my choice) and when i came down she went straight out for a pee. :D

Dont know about having it sussed - if you've seen some of my other posts you will see thats not true, but i think we have been lucky with toilet training. We took her out lots to begin with. In the early few days , we took her to one gravelled spot not far from door and when she had a pee, kept repeating go pee Holly, then lots of fuss and a little treat when she did. Now when we open door and say go pee, she usually goes roughly to same spot and pees.

She usually goes to back door and sits when she needs to go out. (Although as she doesnt often make a noise, so unless were watching we're sometimes too late - the doormat has had to be replaced.) We still have odd accident and i must admit she doesnt get to stay in living room alone - its our only carpet !!

Sounds like Lucca's a real sweetie though - Im sure he 'll get there too!

Shelley

1 - 17 of 17 Posts