Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm hoping to purchase a chocolate lab, could anyone tell me what is a acceptable reading for hip dysplasia. Apparently the owners advise that the sire 4:4 and the dame 6:7 how does this fair, also they are asking £600 is this a fare price, there is so many different prices all claiming they are KC reg, show dogs, hip/eye checked (price 100 -600) please don't everyone bite my head off, I want this pup to be apart of my family but sometimes you have to have a budget and I'm not sure what the difference would be between a £350 or a £600 pup.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum
The current breed average is 15, so the scores you have been given are fine. Please bear in mind though that ideally you should look at scores and test for several generations back and even then there are no guarantees. The best explanation I have found online is here http://www.thedogscene.co.uk/articles/health/hdscore.htm

With regards to price, you could pay anything from £400 - £600 for a nice pup. Usually more expensive in the south, but it really is the least reliable guide to quality. You won't buy a well bred puppy cheaply, but expensive does not mean well bred either, so I tend to ignore price (unless it's cheap).

Are you looking to show? because if so, it's a different ball game. Show dogs usually refers to the type of labrador (as opposed to field type) it does not mean it will be good enough to show - even having Sh Ch in the pedigree does not mean they will be show quality.

There's some useful info on finding a good breeder here.
http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/breederselection.html
Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI
I wrote a reply to your query this am. I did submit it but does not seem to have been posted. When I have time later I will try to rewrite it.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
I hope I do not lose this posting.
Some breeders in the South are known to charge £700 for a Chocolate puppy. As lablover said it is not always the price that dictates whether it is a good puppy, but I would certainly not go for one at the cheaper end of the scale.
Lablover has already said to go back on the ancestors of the pedigree,for hips I would also make sure that eye certificates are current for both parents and ideally check again the ancestors if you can. I would also like to think that the elbows have been x-rayed and scored. I realise that not all breeders do this, but many are now. At least if you buy from a breeder that has done all these things properly then they have done as much as they can to sell you a nice puppy although there is no guarantee. I would also be pleased to hear that they have vetted you as to your suitablility
of coping with a puppy, they are very demanding, and if you work, then you will need a lot of back up from friends and neighbours to cope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts